High Throughput Screening Scientific Leader at Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking an Associate Director / Director scientist to lead the High Throughput Screening (HTS) group in San Diego. The Vertex team plays a vital role in generating weekly medicinal chemistry and primary screening assays that support selection of leads and clinical candidates. The team is mostly responsible for biologically complex and challenging disease-relevant phenotypic and target-based assay platforms. These assays require merging strong scientific skills in human cell and target biology, a high level of attention to detail with traditional HTS processes and both scientific and operational leadership. Efforts span execution of small molecule and non-small molecule drug discovery projects. Candidates are expected work across functions to apply creative solutions, adapt and conceive new technology platforms to assay design and implementation in supporting Vertex’s drug discovery efforts.
- Support several lead optimization and early research projects in parallel by effectively executing both small molecule and non-small molecule assays. This includes strong skills in conceiving, designing and implementing assays to support MedChem and/or primary screening assays and advancing key insights in assay or compound design that can impact project goals.
- Drive the industrialization of complex assays from limited bench level applications to robust drug discovery formats.
- Apply scientific leadership and strong troubleshooting skills that clearly identify key scientific questions that then form the basis for executable plans.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly–matrixed and collaborative, cross functional work environment.
- Manage research staff with all incumbent supervisory responsibilities. This includes demonstrated ability to manage / supervise and a passion to inspire scientific innovation to multi-disciplinary teams and individuals.
- Communicate company objectives to team and lead execution in a clear and efficient manner to meet timelines.
- Derive widespread peer respect through scientific leadership and the display of high ethical standards
- Minimum Qualifications
- Doctorate of Science (Ph.D.) in Biology, or related discipline and 10+ years productive and relevant post-doctoral employment experience in a drug discovery environment or Master of Science (MS) in Biology, or related discipline, and 12+ years productive and relevant experience in a drug discovery environment.
- Successful track record to scientifically lead a multi-disciplinary team engaged in difficult projects in parallel and communicating and advancing innovative concepts or pharmacological insights that impact the direction of pre-clinical drug discovery projects.
- Strong in vitro assay expertise. This includes utilizing of automation, complex data sets and various assay detection methodologies.
- Established expertise in cell biology methodologies using primary cells or stem cells.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.