Sr. Specialist, Outside Counsel & Vendor Management
As part of the Legal Operations team, this position ensures smooth logistical support of department projects and initiatives, and general business processes related to outside counsel and legal vendors. The Specialist, Outside Counsel & Vendor Management, is also responsible for collaboratively creating actionable business intelligence from data residing in AbbVie Legal's ebilling and other systems. This position provides guidance for data-based decision-making and continuous improvements in order to meet organizational objectives. This position is an analytical, planning and coordination role responsible for identifying opportunities to develop new requirement initiatives, gain efficiencies on processes, coordinate efforts toward implementation, and monitor project progress as well as identifying areas for improvement. This position requires in-depth understanding of systems and tools for electronic billing and matter management, analytics, dashboards, and RFP processes.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Responsible for smooth operation of billing processes, ensuring quality of system data to ensure creation of timely and actionable business intelligence from legal billing information. Assesses impact of changes, with focus on continuous improvement.
- Facilitates project/process issue resolution with finance, legal, IT, legal departments and external partners, including law firms and legal vendors.. Translates lessons learned into process improvements. Recommends and implements process improvement projects to enhance billing and payment processes and data quality.
- Financial: Applies knowledge of law firm billing and accounting principles and procedures to support new process initiative or improvement projects.
- Compliance: Interprets and provides guidance on AbbVie Outside Counsel Guidelines. Identifies trends in legal spend and compliance with guidelines, provides recommendations, and implements enhancements to guidelines, processes and systems.
- System Development/Maintenance: Supports projects to implement systems to automate processes and maintains systems with focus on continuous improvements. Liaise with IT group to troubleshoot system issues.
- Communications: Communicates AbbVie requirements to external stakeholders and communicates extensively with internal stakeholders regarding legal engagement process and billing guidelines and supports the development of internal digital communications and collaboration resources for Outside Counsel Management .
- Develop and execute reports in eCounsel and other systems; produce ad hoc reports as needed, often combining data from multiple sources.
- Gather requirements for new reports and for improving existing reports.
- Required: Bachelor's degree; MBA preferred; prefer focus in Business, Accounting, Finance or Project Management.
- Required: 10 years relevant work experience in legal industry (law firm finance/billing, inhouse legal operations or legal business consulting).
- Prefer experience/training in the following areas: data analytics and business intelligence, data visualization and metrics, project management and/or business excellence tools and techniques.
- Be self-directed and work well in a team / matrix environment. Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of electronic billing and payment systems and business analytics and visualization tools.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, internet tools, system usage, including electronic file storage and retrieval.
- Demonstrates critical thinking to develop and recommend and actionable law firm and vendor metrics and to recommend and implement process improvement projects. Seeks opportunities to optimize processes to create and disseminate actionable, value added information that achieves business needs.
- Demonstrates critical thinking to recommend and implement process improvement projects. Applies analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills through all aspects of the job, including the ability to understand business drivers and develop actionable metrics and to interpret high-level requirements and gray areas and translates them into efficient processes. Anticipates and tests assumptions for broader impact to organization and processes.