Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking a Ph.D. level scientist to join our Vaccine Analytical Development team located in West Point, PA as a Sr. Scientist. This incumbent should have expert knowledge in chemistry and separation sciences with applications to large biomolecules such as viruses, lipid nanoparticles, polymers, proteins, DNA/RNA. Responsibilities include:
- Developing, optimizing, implementing LC-based assays for recombinant proteins, lipid nanoparticles, conjugate & live-virus-based vaccines
- Proactively applying LC technology to better characterize complex vaccines
- Collaborating in a fast-paced, integrated, multidisciplinary team environment
- Providing technical guidance to other scientists
- Preparing technical documents to support regulatory submissions
Education Minimum Requirement:
PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a closely-related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of chemistry and liquid chromatography (UPLC, HPLC) demonstrated by publications
- Strong scientific & technical leadership skills
- Basic understanding of protein characterization techniques
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Strong awareness of industry / regulatory trends
- Knowledge of emerging technologies
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with different types of UPLC/HPLC separation (SEC, IEX, HIC, RP, HILIC), CE (CE-SDS, cIEF, MEKC, CZE, CE-MS), and GC (GC-FID, GC-MS)
- Experience with mechanistic elucidation of chemical reactions using proper analytical techniques.
- Experience with CAD and ELSD detectors
- Experience with proteins, viruses, lipids, RNA and DNA separation and characterization
- Understanding of GMP as applied to analytical requirement
- Experience with lab automation
- Supervisory experience
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: