Senior Research Associate, Immunology
Position Title: Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Immunology
Reports to: Scientist, Biology
Status: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
Location: San Francisco, CA
Summary: Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ symbol ASMB) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company advancing two innovative platform programs: a Hepatitis B-Cure program consisting of a new class of oral therapeutic candidates for the treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and a novel class of oral synthetic live biotherapeutic candidates, which are designed to treat disorders associated with the Microbiome.
The HBV pipeline consists of a lead program in multiple global Phase 2a studies; a 2nd Generation program entering Phase I late this year, and a 3rd program approaching clinical candidate selection. We expect this pipeline to represent a backbone therapy for increasing cures in HBV, and can be envisioned as a foundation of the company’s research in virology globally.
The Microbiome platform consists of our lead programs in GI, partnered with Allergan, nearing the first IND/Phase Ib later this year and early next for Ulcerative Colitis, and a pipeline of other disease areas in consideration for advancement that are wholly owned by ASMB.
The Company has a strong balance sheet having recently raised $166 million, bringing its cash reserves to approximately $250 million – and thus positioned well to build the next phase of Assembly toward global development and commercialization of our innovative medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome.
The successful Research Associate will work as a member of the Assembly Biosciences Biology team at our San Francisco site, and support our microbiome drug discovery programs in a multi-disciplinary fast-paced team environment.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting state-of-the art immunology experiments using cellular & biological assays and molecular analytical tools
- Assisting in experiment design/troubleshooting, data analysis, drafting of protocols and support of laboratory operations
- Analyzing and interpretingdata, preparing reports and presenting results to managers and at internal team meetings
- Supporting routine research efforts that contribute to meeting project goals
- B.Sc./M.S. or equivalent degree in a biology-related scientific discipline with a focus on immunology strongly preferred
- Minimum of two (2) to four (4) years of experience in industrial or academic settings
- Experience in basic research techniques including safe laboratory practices and standards in a BSL2 environment
- Demonstrated track record of productivity and knowledge working with primary immune cell culture, flow cytometry, ELISA/Luminex assays, reporter assays and standard molecular biology techniques (qPCR, DNA/RNA isolation and biochemical assays)
- Preferred experience in one or all of the following: animal models relevant to inflammation or immuno-oncology, tissue isolation and processing and/or histology and IHC/IFC
- Desire and demonstrated ability to quickly develop new technical skills, ability to think independently, be results oriented and have strong attention to detail
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs with a desired knowledge of GraphPad Prism and FlowJo software
- Ability to communicate effectively and present basic concepts and detailed scientific data to diverse teams through developed verbal, visual and written communication skills
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.