Global Medical Information Physician Oncology
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Medical Consult and Review Physician (MCRP) previously called Global Medical Information Physician (GMIP) for Oncology provides clinical expertise and advice to internal stakeholders and is a member of several cross-functional teams, including the Promotional Review Team (PRT), and the US and Global Medical Affairs Teams. In PRT, the MCRP is responsible for ensuring the clinical relevance and medical accuracy of data/information in promotional materials, external communications and field-based employee training. The Medical Affairs teams guide the medical affairs organization’s strategy within the therapeutic area. The MCRP also leverages clinical practice & therapeutic area expertise to participate in the strategic planning and global scientific content development, review/approval of standard response document (SRD) on product safety and efficacy, and when required, interact with HCPs to help answer unsolicited professional information requests (PIR). The MCRP provides medical and scientific training to internal stakeholders and collaborates to develop training content and implement scientific updates.
Medical Review of US and Global Promotional Materials
- Provide clinical expert guidance and advice to Commercial Brand Teams in order to influence promotional strategy and messaging based on scientific evidence and clinical context.
- Member of Promotional Review Team (PRT) responsible for ensuring the clinical relevance and medical accuracy of data/information in promotional materials, external communications and Field Based Employee (FBE) training content.
- Support Country Medical directors, as HQ point of contact and Subject Matter Expert (SME) for medical review.
- Serve as product SME during GMA global assurance process for country assessment.
US and Global Medical Information
- Leverage clinical practice & therapeutic area/product expertise to provide actionable insights for the strategic planning and global scientific content development of medical information assets, ensuring adequate integration of data and scientific evidence with patient safety and clinical relevance elements in a customer-centric approach.
- Review/approve all medical information resources and standard response documents containing product safety, tolerability and efficacy data. Interact with HCPs who request a live discussion with physicians to answer PIRs.
- Proactively engage with leaders and participate in US and Global Medical Affairs Teams to ensure that sufficient medical information assets are available with the appropriate depth/format to meet the requirements of external customers and internal stakeholders.
- Review Health Outcomes-related standard response documents and AMCP dossiers to ensure clinical relevance and medical accuracy of the content.
Strategic Coordination and Alignment
- Proactively engage with Global Scientific Content (GSC) team lead and team members, and actively participate in the product strategic planning, ensuring a tailored approach in creating and disseminating scientific content aligned with key scientific priorities and the GSC plan.
- Leverage SME, clinical practice expertise, and therapeutic area team participation to contribute with actionable insights and inputs into key medical strategy teams (regional and global). Provide medical significance assessment to inform product deletions, divestitures, stock-outs and shortages.
- Proactively engage in peer-to-peer conversations with key colleagues in Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) to provide/request input and ensure alignment to enhance the provision of accurate and customized Medical Information assets for customers and stakeholders.
- Active participant on select teams to provide insights on labeling language and anticipate activities related to labeling updates, and to facilitate timely and efficient SRD development and/or updates to support addressing PIRs.
- Actively contact and interact with Risk Management Safety Team(s) when required.
- Act as SME for creation/update of GMI process/SOPs.
Medical Education and Training
- Support creation of medical training curricula for the products, to address basic and advanced training needs of GMA personnel.
- Collaborate with Learning & Development and Content Training Directors to develop training content and approve training resources for the MSL group.
- Implement Speaker Training activities for US in collaboration with Global Expert Management Services.
- In collaboration with the GMI group, support sales and internal training activities
- Participate in training and/or mentoring of new team members.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- MD or equivalent medical degree is required.
- Post-graduate clinical training (residency) and a minimum of 5 years of clinical practice is required.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Understanding of regulations and compliance considerations impacting pharmaceutical industry.
- Must be able to work in a complex organization environment and have ability to effectively operate in a team-oriented structure.
- Ability to analyze/synthesize data and provide solutions and formulate strategies
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication (written as well as oral) skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Board certification or eligibility in a medical specialty related to Oncology is highly desirable.
- Relevant working experience in Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry is desired.
- Relevant working experience in Medical Information or Clinical Research (in academia or pharmaceutical industry) is desired.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.