Lead Scientist - New Product Development
Job Summary: Reporting into an R&D Manager on the Discovery and Early Development team, you will play an integral part in developing new products based on ideas and technologies from both internal and external sources. As a leader in the lab, you will oversee a group of highly motivated and curious scientists working together to innovate the next generation of IDEXX products.
This position requires someone who is goal-oriented with a high degree of leadership, collaboration, relationship building and a strong focus on customer needs.
What will you do?
- Understand and follow the new product development process, including reagent feasibility, assay system selection, platforms and other options to determine workable product solutions. Creates concept assays.
- Understand customer needs and assists in drafting product requirements with relevant stakeholders. Performs specification setting, verification and validation, data analysis, experiment design, structured problem solving and other activities.
- Perform extensive project management activities to create working prototype versions of products, coordinating with wide variety of internal and external partners and encouraging teamwork and group achievement. Understands IDEXX processes, collaborates closely with marketing, interacts with other R&D areas and identifies and works with outside vendors and coordinates priorities with various groups on an ongoing basis. Works with core team leads and other project managers.
- Partner with disease legitimacy, medical affairs, marketing, operations, quality, regulatory, legal, business development and others. Presents ideas/data to other parts of the organization for feedback on feasibility and promise.
- Stay current with new science and technology developments, with freedom to explore areas unrelated to immediate product development. Maintains knowledge of intellectual property (IP) and monitors IP landscape through literature searches and other methods. Solicits collaborations with outside researchers/organizations/universities.
- Work context involves novel and variable situations requiring analytical and creative thinking.
- Develop network of technical and business stakeholders, including professors, industry leaders and others; present at scientific meetings. Develop strategic marketing partnerships.
What do you need to succeed?
- PhD with 5+ years of relevant experience highly preferred.
- 2-3 years of diagnostic new product development or related field highly preferred.
- In-depth understanding of biological and chemical principles and concepts as they relate to commercial products.
- Hands-on research experience and willingness to intervene and lead from bench when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a product development from concepts to launch.
- Demonstrated complex problem-solving skills and applies broad range of tools to critically evaluate, interpret and summarize data with ability to propose next steps.
- Excellent project planning and management skills to manage large, complex projects. Ability to gather and manage necessary resources and influence without authority.
- Strong technical decision-making skills and associated risk assessment.
- Demonstrates significant independent action on technical matters.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Strong concern for quality.