Research Associate / Senior Research Associate
We are seeking a Research Associate (title will depend upon experience and education) to join an R&D team focused on the development of novel in vitro cancer models.
Applicants must have hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture and various cell and molecular biology techniques.
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge.
The Biologist/Senior Biologist/Research Associate/Senior Research Associate (title will depend upon experience and education) performs a variety of advanced laboratory procedures requiring accuracy, judgment and technical proficiency independently. The incumbent complies with all ATCC corporate policies and procedures.
- Adheres to appropriate quality guidelines.
- Follows relevant SOPs and procedures with no supervision.
- Receives and follows work orders, completing work as scheduled.
- Communicates effectively with supervisor and others as appropriate on work status.
- Performs viability and purity checks on biological materials.
- Demonstrates competence in propagating and authenticating/characterizing a range of biological materials with no supervision.
- Maintains knowledge of corporate and program policies and procedures.
- Troubleshoots and maintains instrumentation in good working condition.
- Develops SOPs and departmental documentation, as requested.
- Recognizes critical characteristics of products within relevant area of specialty.
- Actively acquires new lab skills and specialized knowledge.
- Reads and understands relevant scientific literature.
- Compiles and documents data as directed for technical presentation.
- Utilizes advance computer skills. (i.e., expertise in the appropriate fields of ATCC’s ERP system).
- Enters data in notebooks, batch records or advanced databases.
- Participates in technology transfer within ATCC, as appropriate.
- Performs advanced assays with no supervision.
- Offers suggestions for and contributes to optimization of processes.
- Trains others in laboratory and departmental procedures.
- When appropriate, participates in scientific meetings, seminars and/or workshops to stay abreast of technology advances.
- Communicates effectively with members of all programs at ATCC as well as with outside collaborators.
- Develops protocols to implement special tests relevant to program specialty.
- Provides training for CSRs and TSRs, as requested.
- Develops and evaluates new and/or existing assays for characterization/authentication of biological materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a science related field plus 4-8 years of relevant experience OR
- Master's degree in a science related field plus 3-5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities of an advanced nature, simultaneously.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Demonstrates an advanced breadth of knowledge and expertise in relevant scientific discipline.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.