Director - Head of Neuroscience
Director, Head of Neuroscience
NeuCyte, Inc. – Sunnyvale, CA
Who we are:
NeuCyte is an early stage biopharmaceutical company that focuses on developing treatments for those suffering from neurological and neurodegenerative disorders. We develop translatable cell-based assays for modelling neuro related disorders using patient-derived and genetically-engineered neural cell types to discover novel therapeutics. Based on our SynFire™ technology, our proprietary human neural in vitro platforms assess complex electrophysiological and morphological readouts suited for target identification and validation, as well as drug efficacy testing.
What we’re looking for:
NeuCyte is seeking a highly motivated Director of Neuroscience to join our neuro drug discovery team. The successful applicant must have a neurobiology and neurophysiology background with strong drug discovery experience. Applicants must be able to keep up with the fast pace of a small biopharmaceutical and work on multiple projects at a time.
What you’ll do:
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to optimize our in vitro human iPSC derived neural disease models.
- Lead the Neuroscience team to design, execute and build target discovery assays and conduct in-vitro pharmacology studies using new biochemical, cell-based and phenotypic assays, such as high-content imaging and MEA analysis to support NeuCyte’s internal drug discovery programs and advancement of lead molecules.
- Participate in business development efforts resulting in the acquisition of innovative assets and/or enabling technologies that enhance NeuCyte’s discovery research pipeline.
- Participate in the development, design and execution of non-clinical studies to support advancement of our programs.
- Propose new programs/diseases/areas of science that could be considered for future portfolio expansion.
- Coordinate with collaborators and CROs, as needed, to manage in vitro experiments and set clear goals and expectations for the broader team.
- Establish and manage relationships with academic collaborators and/or CROs, including development of research plans and data analysis.
- Review scientific literature to remain up to date of developments in relevant fields.
- Recruit, develop and retain world class scientists, building a strong research team as evidenced by pipeline productivity and external scientific reputation.
- PhD/MD related to neuroscience, pharmacology, molecular biology, or genetics with 10+ years of drug discovery industry and supervisory experience.
- Track record of innovation in the discovery of therapeutics for neurodegenerative and synaptic driven disorders with a strong emphasis on leveraging human genetics.
- Strong scientific contributions in target discovery and validation using genomic and small molecule screening as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/ presentations/ inventions and clinical candidates.
- Experience managing day to day activities in research and development, with direct responsibility for meeting program timelines and budgets.
- Highly motivated cross-functional team player who is flexible with ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Mentor and develop individual talent capable of taking on future leadership roles.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills with excellent record keeping.
- Competitive salary and benefits.