Staff Scientist, Biophysics
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Staff Scientist, Biophysics in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Staff Scientist, Biophysics on the Structured Biology and Biophysics team, you will be empowered to proactively identify opportunities for ITC, SPR and other technologies to investigate soluble and membrane proteins.
- The Staff Scientist-Biophysics independently implements biophysics strategies to study protein interactions with small molecule ligands and biomolecules. Staff Scientist is well-versed in the use of SPR and other biophysics approaches for hit identification, validation, and lead optimization. Staff Scientist has a track record of determining thermodynamic and kinetic parameters governing protein binding and has a deep understanding of membrane proteins and biologics.
- The Staff Scientist, Biophysics will work closely with structural biologists, chemists, and biologists in preclinical research projects and will be responsible for providing effective and innovative solutions to address program-specific needs and challenges. Staff Scientist also leads external collaborators with private and academic institutions to outsource research and provide access to skills, resources and capabilities that supplement Takeda’s.
- Manage the design, development, and implementation of experiments to support drug discovery projects and characterizes small molecule and antibody interactions with membrane proteins.
- Proactively identify opportunities for SPR and other technologies to investigate soluble and membrane proteins
- Work closely with other biophysicists in the team to develop integrative approaches to address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
- Lead the identification and utilization of current and emerging biophysical technologies – for use internally or accessed via external partners – that will favorably impact projects.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with partners (academic, biotech, and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities. Leads and manages external collaborations effectively.
- Work closely with the Structural Biology and Biophysics Group to develop integrative approaches to address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
- Participate on cross-functional teams and provides technical leadership in the areas of biophysics.
- Effectively present data to other scientific staff and cross-functional project teams; may present data/posters to external research or scientific community.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D.in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related discipline with at least 3 years biophysics experience in a research and/or development environment, or MS degree with at least 10 years of biophysics experience, or BS degree with at least 12 years of biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience with biophysical techniques including, TSA, SPR, ITC, DLS, and fluorescence spectroscopy.
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of drug discovery within one or more areas.
- Experience in the study of membrane proteins and antibody-antigen interactions as well as a good understanding of other biophysical techniques like MS and NMR.
- Strong track record for studying protein interactions and macromolecular complexes as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions.
- Familiar with other structural biology methods like X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy and electron microscopy.
- Experience with preparation of high-quality protein samples for biophysics studies.
- Good team player with positive attitude and strong collaboration skills including the ability to work individually as well as part of an effective team.
- Highly motivated and flexible with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Detail oriented and with very high scientific standards.
- Demonstrated interest in applying biophysics strategies to fragment based drug discovery.\
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Professionally represents Takeda in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences.
- Use hands on a regular basis to handle small laboratory equipment, including multi-channel pipettors, for liquid transfers to and from 96- and 384-well plastic assay plates.
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work.
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals.
- Less than or equal to 5% travel, consisting of one to two relevant scientific meetings and/or trips to meet with collaborators and CROs
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.