Associate Director, Publication Planning
Why Join Us?
To be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a biopharmaceutical company committed to bringing to patients novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases, with a focus on serious, debilitating genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best, because we never lose sight of our mission – to make a difference in our patients’ lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
ultraimpact – Make a difference for those who need it most
The Associate Director, Publication Planning will be responsible for the successful development and tactical execution of publication plans across multiple programs in alignment with data generation plans and lifecycle strategies and in compliance with SOPs, publication guidelines, and company goals. The Associate Director, Publication Planning will manage the publication plan(s), and serve as the primary contact for publication activities in collaboration with a cross-functional group, including Clinical Sciences, Medical Affairs, Biometrics, Pharm/Tox, Research, and other relevant functions. The core duties of the Associate Director, Publication Planning are delineated below.
Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Lead publication strategy, planning, and execution of Ultragenyx product and pipeline publication plans.
- Develop specific publication plan(s) for assigned products and programs and manage execution of the publication plans
- Serve as the point of contact within the company for publication-related activities
- Collaborate with internal writing teams and/or manage external writing agencies and consultants to develop timelines and drive the timely execution of writing/creating, reviewing, approving, and submitting publications
- Interact with external authors and investigators to provide publication support and ensure compliant development of company-sponsored publications
- Ensure publications are developed in compliance with company guidelines and SOPs as well as industry guidelines and standards (ICMJE, GPP, etc)
- Manage congress abstract planning and execution for abstract submissions and poster/oral presentation development
- Support publication budget planning and management
- Liaise with relevant corporate functions and partner(s), as applicable, to ensure appropriate communication of publications-related activities including manuscripts and congress abstracts/posters/presentations
- Support high-quality execution of Corporate-wide initiatives
- Develop, track, execute, and report on goals and objectives
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- BS, MS, or doctorate in a scientific or medical field
- Solid experience (>3 years) in publication management in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry preferred
- Proven success with leading and managing medical writing agencies as well as track record for consistently meeting or exceeding quantitative targets
- Experience writing and preparing manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals as well as abstracts, posters, and slide decks for presentation at scientific congresses
- Good understanding of applicable publications-related guidelines as well as legal, regulatory, compliance, and clinical/medical affairs
- Experience with project management
- Successful and superior influencing skills across all levels of the organization and external collaborators
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Understands and effectively responds to multicultural communication styles and business practices with alliance partners and internal colleagues
- Flexible; adapts work style to meet organization needs
- Strong organizational abilities and experience in a multitasking environment
- Motivated, self-directed, and able to work autonomously and in team settings to meet aggressive organizational goals
- Experience in successfully engaging with cross-functional product teams
- Dedication to quality and reliability
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Power Point, Adobe Illustrator, figures and graphic design; Project and Visio a plus)
- Ability to build and maintain effective partnerships, both internally and externally
- Holds self and others accountable for adherence to high ethical standards; adopts and maintains the utmost integrity and respect for colleagues at all levels
- Rare disease experience and a strong understanding of metabolic genetics a plus
- Job title can be adjusted based on level of experience
- Familiarity with publication planning and management software preferred
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.