Director of Technology Strategy and Innovation
Amgen is seeking a Director of Technology Strategy and Innovation that will function as a Product Innovation Lead at its main headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA. The Product Innovation Lead serves as the critical link and interface to the product and brand teams, with a focus on problem and needs identification along the customer (patient, physician, and/or payer) journey and identification of potential technology solutions.
The Director of Technology Strategy and Innovation, internally known as Director of Digital Product Management, will report to the Executive Director Digital Health and will be responsible for driving Amgen's portfolio-level view of key technologies in support of its medicines. The Incumbent reports into Digital Health but has an enterprise-level technology responsibility (including novel drug delivery devices, drug, formulations, diagnostics, and digital health) to help product teams identify challenges and potential technology solutions to improve the value of Amgen's medicines to patients and to the healthcare system.
For this position, International and domestic travel up to 20% may be essential.
Responsibilities of the Director of Technology Strategy and Innovation include:
- Serves as the primary point-of-contact and "thought partner" for the rest of the organization to support problem identification, generate ideas, and identify potential technology solutions. This can include:
- Managing communication with Product Teams and US Brand Teams and liase with ex-US brand teams
- Facilitating ideation sessions and help product / brand teams understand the technology opportunities
- Managing any additional work needed to refine solution hypotheses before they are ready for preliminary assessment
- Serving one or more Global Product General Manager's as a technology expert, to help capture all internal innovation projects and facilitate the rapid sharing of best practices around the world
- Contributing to the development of an integrated technology strategy
- Serves as the critical resource and subject matter expert in the discovery, evaluation and selection of innovative technologies
- Works closely with Technology Hub Prospectors, Venture Capital Firms, and internal Technology Groups across the portfolio to discover, evaluate, and select innovative technologies
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Technology, Strategy and/or Innovation experience
Master's degree and 8 years of Technology, Strategy and/or Innovation experience
Bachelor's degree and 10 years of Technology, Strategy and/or Innovation experience
- Strong capabilities in project management and problem solving, with a deep understanding of the technology and biopharma sectors
- Well-developed communication and leadership skills, to ensure that assessment teams are staying on track and navigating roadblocks
- Broad familiarity across functional areas, including regulatory, marketing, and clinical
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.