Protein Biochemist I/II
In this newly created role for our growing team, you will be responsible for supporting the research project team with protein sample production for drug discovery projects. You will recombinantly express and purify high-quality soluble as well as membrane protein samples for functional and structural studies. Additionally, you will contribute to our protein engineering and purification efforts for protein targets.
Good things are happening at Omeros!
Come join our Discovery Team!
Who is Omeros?
Omeros is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to discovering, developing and commercializing small-molecule and protein therapeutics for large-market as well as orphan indications targeting inflammation, complement-mediated diseases and disorders of the central nervous system.
The company’s drug product OMIDRIA® (phenylephrine and ketorolac injection) 1% / 0.3% is marketed in the U.S. for use during cataract surgery or intraocular lens (IOL) replacement to maintain pupil size by preventing intraoperative miosis (pupil constriction) and to reduce postoperative ocular pain. In the European Union, the European Commission has approved OMIDRIA for use in cataract surgery and other IOL replacement procedures to maintain mydriasis (pupil dilation), prevent miosis (pupil constriction), and to reduce postoperative eye pain.
Omeros has multiple Phase 3 and Phase 2 clinical-stage development programs focused on: complement-associated thrombotic microangiopathies; complement-mediated glomerulonephropathies; Huntington’s disease and cognitive impairment; and addictive and compulsive disorders. In addition, Omeros has a diverse group of preclinical programs and a proprietary G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) platform through which it controls 54 new GPCR drug targets and corresponding compounds, a number of which are in preclinical development. The company also exclusively possesses a novel antibody-generating platform.
What are your job responsibilities?
- Develop and optimize expression, purification and stabilization of proteins in E. coli, baculovirus and/or mammalian expression systems
- Develop GPCR expression and sample preparation platform including screening expression
- Operate, maintain and develop expression and purification technologies
- Support characterization of proteins and biological systems using biochemical, biophysical and structural techniques
- In conjunction with internal and external partners, evaluate and implement new technologies to enable X-ray crystallography for early drug discovery
- Independently execute laboratory experiments and data analysis and interpretation with an emphasis on structural biology
- Present scientific results and attend project meetings
- Work closely with structural biology and medicinal chemistry groups
What education and experience do you need?
- A PhD or equivalent in Biochemistry or Biology is preferred with a minimum of 0 – 2 years of experience for a level 1 or a minimum of 2 – 5 years of experience for a level 2 is required; an MS degree, along with a minimum of 12+ years of experience (Associate Scientist level) is acceptable
- Experience with stabilization (via engineering, Nanobodies, Nanodisc) is a big plus, especially with GPCRs
- Relevant experience in membrane protein biochemistry, ideally GPCR sample preparation for structural studies, is required
What skills and knowledge does our ideal candidate have?
As our ideal candidate, you’ll need the follow skills and knowledge:
- Demonstrated proficiency in expression, purification and stabilization of multiple different protein targets, including preparation of GPCR samples for crystallographic structure investigation
- Demonstrated hands-on bench experiment troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets (Excel), database management, and presentation software
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team -oriented, highly motivated environment, including the ability to foster collaboration
- Demonstrated ability to present scientific results to project teams and management
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under high pressure, handling multiple priorities simultaneously
What else do you need to know?
This position may require some work on weekends and holidays.
If you have the skills, knowledge and experience we are looking for, we’d love to hear from you!
Omeros is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.
It is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation to anyone with a disability who needs assistance completing the job application process. If you need assistance, you can either send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.orgOpens a New Window. or contact Omeros, asking for Human Resources, at (206) 676-5000.