In-House Patent Attorney or Patent Agent
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
IN-HOUSE PATENT ATTORNEY OR PATENT AGENT
Ionis is seeking an experienced patent attorney or agent to join Ionis’ in-house legal team and assist in developing global IP strategies and managing day to day intellectual property efforts to support multiple compounds in pre-clinical/clinical development and Ionis’ core research programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identification of inventions, patent application drafting, patent prosecution, drafting office action responses, managing a global patent portfolio relating to antisense technology
- Conducting strategic IP due diligence, including analyzing third-party patent portfolios to identify competitors and/or potential collaborators
- Working and communicating with collaborators and other external strategic partners in connection with developing a global IP strategy
- Reviewing and negotiating license agreements and IP clauses in other agreements
- Providing patent litigation support
- Managing the use of outside legal counsel globally
- 2-5 years in-house and/or law firm patent experience related to life sciences
- Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- A graduate degree in organic chemistry or molecular and cellular biology preferred
- Experience in patent preparation, both U.S. and foreign prosecution, IP due diligence, and strategic counseling
- Exceptional communication skills, including writing and presentation
- Ability to independently oversee legal matters, manage the use of outside legal counsel and work collaboratively with members of Ionis’ franchise groups and internal departments
- Ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple complex legal matters, and complete projects in a timely manner
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com, for more information about Ionis.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.