The purpose of this position is to support gene discovery and microbial strain development projects within the company and bring state of the art Molecular Biology/Synthetic Biology/Metabolic Engineering/Gene Discovery skills to the groups. In-depth knowledge and hands on experience in developing and using state of the art synthetic biology techniques is required. In-depth knowledge of genetic engineering of bacteria, yeast and fungi, and basic knowledge of genome mining and de-novo genome assembly and annotation, metabolic pathway elucidation and functional characterization of novel enzymes is advantageous. Good working knowledge of analytical techniques such as gas chromatography mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography mass spectrometry, and high-performance liquid chromatography is desired.
- Plans and executes laboratory research independently in line with project goals and objectives
- Interprets complex data sets and proposes research based on insight
- Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies to advance genomic engineering efforts and characterize physiology of modified microorganisms
- Records data, generates computer reports and processes written records on a timely basis
- Communicates research progress and objectives clearly, frequently, and effectively
- Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories
- May advise top management on projects, research and development opportunities
- Participates in development of patent applications
- Interfaces with various departments and serves as internal consultant
- Works on problems of diverse scope and complexity
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Supervises experiments carried out by Research Associates
- Follows company policies and compliance with safety procedures
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education Required: PhD - Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Synthetic Biology, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry or related discipline.
*Experience may substitute for some education
Experience Required: 2-5 years of academic or industrial experience. Must have attained very high quality performance at the previous level.
Knowledge Required: Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts. Basic math skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, ability to perform business functions