State Government Affairs Director, West
The Director, State Government Affairs will develop and execute comprehensive advocacy strategies, including, but not limited to relating to third party organizations, to shape state legislative and regulatory activity to strengthen advocacy efforts. This position will represent AbbVie in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the company, and drive favorable resolutions to those matters. Director must anticipate state and local legislation and public policy trends and emerging issues in order to get ahead of potentially negative government action or to proactively shape the environment to make it more favorable to AbbVie's interests is critical. The position will develop relationships with policymakers, regulators, patient advocates, physician advocates, business groups, public policy groups, associations, and other stakeholders and drive their engagement on key public policy issues. Rigorous compliance with all state lobbying rules.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and executive comprehensive advocacy strategies to shape state legislative activity. This includes direct lobbying and engagement of third party groups and coalitions. Assess state and local political and public policy environment, determine where legislative and regulatory action is advisable and where it is not, and make recommendations on AbbVie action. Manage expectations of the business regarding the legislative and regulatory environment and the potential impact on AbbVie.
- Represent AbbVie in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the company, and drive favorable resolutions to those matters. Proactively evaluate legislation, regulations, and rules, as well as the political environment. Assess both opportunities and threats to AbbVie interests and create comprehensive Government Affairs strategies to address them that include lobbying, 3rd party advocacy, policy development, and media engagement on leg/policy goals.
- Develop close working relationships with key business stakeholders - including Regional and District mangers - within position's assigned region to leverage state advocacy strategies. Engage with these key business stakeholders and develop keen understanding of commercial strategies in the region to ensure government affairs strategies support AbbVie's commercial objectives.
- Partner with GA Therapeutic Area Strategies team to understand commercial objectives in order to develop creative legislative, regulatory, policy, and political solutions tailored to the position's region to drive business objectives.
- Lead key trade association task forces and coalitions, and drive trade association action on key issues of importance to AbbVie. Develop engagement plans for key national groups affecting state policy (NGA, RGA, DGA, RAGA, DAGA, NCSL, etc.). Work closely with Federal Government Affairs to manage the intersection of state and national politics, policy, lawmakers, and associations.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with state legislators and staff, state executive branch officials, regulators, and local officials in order to anticipate action and execute GA strategies. Develop relationships with key 3rd party advocates and engage them in support of issues, policies, and legislative and regulatory action.
- Manage outside consultants and legal counsel within region, including setting objectives, defining missions and ensuring execution in support of state legislative strategies.
- Ensure rigorous compliance to all legally required registrations for the corporation, staff and outside counsel within the position's region.
- Strong executive presence necessary to deal effectively with high-profile stakeholders such as elected officials, executives and a variety of external constituencies; including ability to influence and navigate political landscape.
- Eight to ten years' experience in lobbying, public administration, political party activity, legislative staff work, or related experience. Experience in health care industry issues preferred. Requires advanced knowledge of legislative rules and procedures, legislative processes, politics, and the complex corporate and policy issues affecting AbbVie.
- Ability to master complex policy and legislative issues, think creatively, and develop innovative strategies and solutions; demonstrate a thorough knowledge of major state health programs, including Medicaid, ADAP, state finance and appropriations processes, etc.; understanding of private health care marketplace mechanisms - insurance, drug benefit plans, key player strategies (i.e. PBMs, pharmacies, employers, consumers, etc.); and, understanding of complex public policy environments.
- Ability to act independently and demonstrate sound business judgment within the scope of broad guidelines. Demonstrated ability to create and implement comprehensive GA strategies that include lobbying, association engagement, 3rd party advocacy, media, and other GA tools that result in successful engagement of external groups and individuals.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, strong organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements, resourcefulness and creativity, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under deadlines and an ability to work collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- Works well in a team environment and enjoys a collegial, yet highly demanding culture while effectively collaborating with business leaders and other internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in related field such as health care administration, political science, public administration or policy required. Advance degree preferred
- Candidates must also have comprehensive knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Domestic travel (50 percent) required.