Director, State Healthcare Programs, East U.S.
Join bluebird bio's passionate and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. bluebird bio seeks an outstanding Director of State Healthcare Programs for the Eastern territories. This home-based bird will report directly to the Director of Global Government Affairs and Public Policy and will be responsible for developing and executing tactical plans to optimize timely access to approved therapies under state healthcare programs. This is an opportunity to work with a highly committed cross-functional team-including Market Access, Patient Advocacy, and Medical Affairs-at the forefront of making gene therapy a reality for patients.
About the Role
- Achieve and maintain favorable coverage and reimbursement for FDA-approved bluebird bio therapies by state-administered health insurance programs (including but not limited to Medicaid fee-for-service, State Employee Health Benefit Plans) to ensure appropriate patient access through established regional Centers of Excellence (CoEs).
- Responsible for States in the Eastern half of the U.S. (East of the Mississippi River).
- Develop, implement, and advance state-wide and regional coverage and reimbursement policies that improve appropriate patient access to FDA-approved bluebird bio therapies.
- Implement and adapt federal policy strategies at the State level to ensure adequate reimbursement for bluebird therapies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key State decisionmakers.
- Create and identify competitively superior growth opportunities for bluebird bio therapies through thorough knowledge of key State customers and constituents.
- Coordinate efforts with bluebird bio Regional Market Access Directors to maximize access under State-contracted managed healthcare plans.
- Integrate State Customer business into Regional, Area, and Product Marketing Business Plans, including partnering with Product Marketing Teams to develop unique State Customer business materials and share best practices on successful market access across state markets.
- Rapidly and appropriately integrate State Customer needs into enterprise and franchise strategies, and retain and deploy state counsel on relevant policy and advocacy issues within and across state markets.
- Build and maintain relationships with both external and internal stakeholders to achieve success. External stakeholders should include: State Government Stakeholders (e.g., State Departments of Health, State Medicaid Agencies (including Medical Directors, Hospital Contracting Teams, Pharmacy Directors), State Pharmaceutical Program Administrators, State Insurance Commissioners, Key State legislators, State Newborn Screening Committee/Program Advisors). Key Third-Party Stakeholders (e.g., state chapters of key medical specialty societies, state chapters of key patient advocacy organizations, State Trade Associations/Affiliates)
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with other functional areas of bluebird bio and provide them timely, accurate information on State threats, opportunities, and potential initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years' experience working with State healthcare stakeholders to facilitate appropriate patient access to medicines and/or other healthcare items and services
- Demonstrated ability to independently drive projects to completion
- Ability to drive innovative thinking and execute innovative strategies
- Ability to function effectively and efficiently in cross-functional team environment
- Solutions-oriented, strong analytical and presentation skills
- Regional travel required, expected to be 25-50%
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself