Manager, Accounts Payable
Join bluebird bio's enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. Based in Cambridge MA, this global position is designed for an experienced strong team contributor to lead the global function of Accounts Payable. This is including leadership, oversight, critical thinking, process evaluation and improvement of our Accounts Payable Function. This role will report to the Director of Accounting and manages and directs the Accounts Payable team ensuring quality and efficient performance from the AP team on AP processing and customer response/satisfaction. This role is responsible for overseeing the accounts payable operations, including T&E, to maximize effectiveness and accuracy. This role is a key partner with on-going internal functions/departments and a range of external stakeholders who provide goods and services to bluebird.
- Ensure the effective operation of the Accounts Payable team, leading with a "hands-on" approach.
- Leads all areas of AP day-to-day process, as well as driving process improvement across the department and across the end-to-end payables process.
- Responsible for scaling our global AP function to effectively support our growing international business
- Manage the completion of the consolidated AP month end close process ensuring that all deadlines and cutoffs are adhered to, including necessary close entries and reconciliations.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of transactions in accordance with GAAP and company policies.
- Develops, maintains and ensures ongoing compliance with SOX 404 internal control documentation and testing.
- Collaborate with external audit staff for quarter-end reviews and year-end audit work.
- Lead team in continuing efforts to accelerate the accounting close process, including AP and related automation projects and process improvement initiatives.
- Help develop AP performance standard measurements, monthly tracking of key metrics, organizing a team for success, integrating collaborative and customer service-oriented behaviors, and controlling efficient and effective AP practices.
- Interact professionally, collaboratively but persistently, with management and other departments for invoice dispute resolution, approvals, voucher processing, and special projects.
- Develops, implements and educates employees and management on new and/or updated policies and procedures, continuing to drive self-service discipline
- Manage and mentor team.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent experience required.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, Life Science industry a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of managerial experience leading accounts payable teams.
- Oracle in the Cloud or equivalent ERP system and Concur experience.
- Experience with a high-volume accounts payable environment.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical skills, team player and effective communicator.
- Able to work independently with little instruction in a highly organized manner.
- A proven track record of implementing process improvements and driving change in a growing organization
- Advanced excel skills.
- Experience with paperless AP processing using work flow software.
- Innovative and able to thrive in a high paced environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Proactive, responsive and timely problem solver.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Respect for others and a desire to work as a team. We win together.