The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), transforming the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the fields focused on heart disease, immunology and virology including HIV/AIDS, and neurological disease. Home to notable leaders in the field of medical science, including 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine recipient Shinya Yamanaka, M.D.,Ph.D. Gladstone is comprised of its three historical institutes in addition to various Centers and programs focusing approximately 500 members of our team on its mission: Science Overcoming Disease. Located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and benefits program within a robust environment for those seeking to maximize their potential. Please consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health.
Gladstone is seeking a talented and motivated system administrator to support its computational researchers. This person will help build, deploy, and optimize scientific computing and storage solutions, working hand-in-hand with scientists to ensure their successful use. The system administrator will be responsible for diagnosing and resolving difficult problems in the configuration, tuning, and management of both compute and storage platforms. In addition, this person may help bioinformatics scientists in the proper deployment and debugging of their software tools in Gladstone's high-performance computing environments.
- Install, test, and maintain Gladstone's high-performance computing systems
- Develop and use tools to manage task automation on compute and storage systems
- Work independently and as part of the IT Operations team to diagnose and fix system problems, help analyze system issues, and develop and implement workarounds or fixes for software bugs
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to users of Gladstone's high-performance computing systems
- Identify and evaluate emerging technologies and explore new features that would create new capabilities and enhance system performance and usability
- Other related tasks and duties as assigned.
- Expertise in shell scripting (bash, Python)
- Experience in using and maintaining computing clusters
- Experience with installation, configuration, monitoring, and tuning of workload management systems such as SLURM or Torque; experience with Sun Grid Engine a plus
- Experience with multi-component architectures and filesystems a plus
- Proven ability to compile and debug open source applications
- Experience with bioinformatics tools (BLAST, Bowtie, etc.) high desired
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in large projects, and to contribute to an active intellectual environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
- Exemplary attention to detail, especially when it comes to documentation
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- A passion for supporting cutting-edge science
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree required in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or other related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with systems programming or management of large-scale UNIX based systems in a high-performance computing environment
- Previous supervisory/management experience a big plus