Principal Scientist - Microbiology
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations.
For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. We have factories in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Thailand and the United States. Corbion has a worldwide network of sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries. Quality, product innovation, and customer orientation are important attributes for our client, which is also characterized by being a collegial, informal and result-oriented company culture.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist to be our in-house expert of food safety microbiology in meat/food applications. You will help build the reputation and representation of Corbion Meat Technology and Ingredients with external stakeholders. You will be the subject matter expert to internal and external customers related to the use of Corbion’ s ingredients, for application guidelines, formulations, production methods, troubleshooting, etc. You will also provide internal and external training and development of Meat Technology and Ingredient expertise for Sales, RDA and other functions, as needed, including knowledge management and transfer of technical information.
- Project leader or member of application/innovation projects: Conduct and/or manage application/innovation projects independently and/or in collaboration with both internal and external customers. This includes ideation, reviewing and identifying new projects, developing and executing the technical plans, collecting and analyzing data, communicating results and project status, generating reports, making presentations, transfer bench top development to pilot or plant scale production; participates effectively on cross functional project teams that may include representatives/peers from RDA, Sales, Technical Services, Business, Marketing, Operations, etc., as the needs of the project dictate.
- Coordinate application work stream pipeline for customer driven and innovation projects: Properly allocate application resources in line with business priorities ensuring the quality and efficiency of the of the project through proper data reporting and management of application knowledge for use by internal and external customers.
- Project Management: Provide oversight and management to synthesize/bring synergy to multiple initiatives by establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently, adjusting priorities, establishing management routines to effectively track progress and leveraging resources.
- Subject matter expert: Contributes to the quality of the RDA input in meat and/or food safety related projects, and provide technical insights as well as insights in industry status (technology trends, NBA, science/knowledge); Brings in and translates scientific knowledge to projects and to the business; Liaison with Universities, Research Institutes and other external labs, Consults with other subject matter experts in technology and application teams and from external party/network.
- Bachelor's, Masters or PhD in food science, meat science or microbiology, plus 10+ years related industrial experience, advanced degree preferred
- Microbiology modeling experience, preferred
- 3+ years project management experience
- Ability to set up and manage BSL-2 lab
- Up-to-date working knowledge on meat processes, food safety microbiology and industry best practices
- Excellent communication skills with varying levels of expertise. This includes presenting technical information to customers, technical conferences and upper management
- Strongly networked into the meat industry, academia and associations
- Self-starter with a drive for results and a can-do mentality with the ability to work independently or as a member of a cross functional team
- Customer focus with the ability to help Corbion to continuously make the difference on meat formulation and processing
- Excellent time-management and project management skills
- Travel required, as needed
HOW TO APPLY:
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Corbion careers page at www.corbion.com. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.