Assistant/Associate Director, Heart Failure Drug Discovery
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, HEART FAILURE DRUG DISCOVERY
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a leader in antisense oligonucleotide research and drug discovery, seeks an Assistant or Associate Director in the field of cardiovascular sciences to join the CardioMetabolic & Renal Antisense Drug Discovery team, a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers. We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated candidate who can work in an intense, highly-matrixed and rewarding team environment. The successful candidate will be an innovative thinker with the ability to work independently to conceptualize, design and execute experiments to validate and champion targets for heart failure. Experience in heart failure models and a firm understanding of targets and mechanisms of heart failure and/or arrhythmia are essential.
- Conception, planning, design, execution and troubleshooting of experiments to support preclinical evaluation of antisense oligonucleotides and their transition into clinical development
- Characterization of pharmacological responses to antisense oligonucleotides using in vitro and in vivo models of heart failure or arrhythmia
- Application of genetic, molecular, biochemical, electrophysiological and imaging methods to evaluate therapeutic efficacy
- Assist in drug hunting and target prioritization activities
- Publish results in top-tier journals and assist in preparation of manuscripts and other documents
- Present findings at both internal and external scientific meetings
- Provide support for ongoing studies investigating methods to improve oligonucleotide cardiac delivery
- Ph.D. in field of cardiovascular sciences with training in myocardial and vascular biology
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a relevant cardiovascular disease research laboratory focused on identification and validation of targets for drug discovery
- Thorough understanding of cardiac physiology
- In vitro and in vivo cardiac functional evaluation experience (e.g. cardiomyocyte electrophysiological and calcium imaging analysis, echocardiography and hemodynamic assessments)
- Expert knowledge of causes and consequences of heart failure and/or arrhythmia
- Keen understanding of targets or pathways currently under consideration in discovery or development
- Experience with cardiomyocyte culture (primary and/or iPSC-derived)
- Strong laboratory skills in standard assays such as RNA and protein isolation, qRT-PCR, ELISA, Western Blotting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to be productive and successful in a very demanding and intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com, for more information about Ionis and to apply for this position; reference requisition #18-0156
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers