Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Fermentation/Upstream Development
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for energetic and talented individuals to join its multidisciplinary research and development team. You will be working to develop new processes to maximize our technology and enhance our internal and collaborative product development initiatives in a fast paced environment.
You will participate in cross-functional teams and collaborate on multiple projects. Responsibilities include ensuring the smooth operation of Sutro’s novel cell free protein synthesis process (XpressCF™), optimizing cell free expression conditions for product candidates in various stages of development from lead optimization through GMP manufacturing, and working with multiple groups in R&D to improve product titers and product quality by examining the biochemical and physical factors affecting cell free performance and scale-up. Experiments are conducted over a large range of scales using a variety of techniques, including high throughput screening and large scale (kL) production. Work will also include technology transfer to the Manufacturing group.
The successful candidate will design and execute cell free protein synthesis processes and develop new processes appropriate to the scale and manufacturing phase for given projects. In addition, the successful candidate will be required to make presentations to internal teams and senior management and to author internal and external publications.
We are seeking a highly-motivated team-player with excellent problem-solving skills and experience with bioprocesses. Versatility is a must, as tasks will involve a range of reactors and scales and process modes. Good organizational skills and the ability to manage tasks within a timeline are essential.
The ideal candidate will have the following background/skill set:
- Ph.D. with 2-5 years industry experience or M.S. with 3-8 years in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering or a related discipline
- Experience with the following is required:
- laboratory scale process equipment, especially bioreactors for microbial and/or mammalian culture
- and bioprocess development
- Experience with the following is preferred:
- technology transfer to GMP manufacturing,
- automated liquid handling systems, especially Beckman Biomek,
- cell free protein synthesis,
- biochemical assays (HPLC and/or microtiter plate based),
- Design of Experiments,
- working on cross-functional teams,
- concepts related to Quality by Design and how to apply them,
- and process validation
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401k plan, PTO, and stock options.
Please submit resume for Req. #1806 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit our website at www.sutrobio.com for more information. Local candidates, SF Bay Area, no relocation.