Head of Genomics
At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our proprietary technology integrates advanced electronics, molecular biology, fluidics and data analytics and machine learning to dramatically reduce cost of ownership and operating expenses for DNA and RNA sequencing.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, to physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. Together we will advance scientific and medical knowledge and improve human health through transformative DNA sequencing technologies. We are working cross functionally to make a great impact in the world – join us on that mission!
We are looking for a Head of Genomics to join our leadership team and report to the Chief Executive Officer in our Redwood City, CA office. This is a particularly exciting time to be at GenapSys, as our technology is rapidly approaching market introduction. The successful candidate will have a major impact on the direction of our core technologies, application direction and defining the next generation of GenapSys products.
- Technical leadership and management of all R & D staff and programs related to library preparation, sequencing chemistry, bioinformatics analysis and application development.
- Working with marketing and operations, develop specifications and development plans for all consumable products.
- Drive, with marketing, the generation of collateral technical literature to support product launches, as well as novel applications that will help drive systems and consumable market adoption.
- Hands-on management in a disciplined manner
- As part of executive team, contribute to instrument, software product specifications and development, drawing on NGS experience.
- Work closely with operations and quality teams to effectively and efficiently transfer products from the lab to manufacturing.
Educational & Experience Requirements:
- Ph.D. in genetics, molecular biology or biochemistry.
- Post-doctoral experience in a genomics-related field.
- At least 10 years of increasing responsibility in R & D leadership roles at a life science tool provider. Relevant experience would include NGS-tools providers (reagents and/or instruments) or a genomics company based on NGS (such as diagnostics, NIPT, consumer genomics, liquid biopsy-focused company) where sequence data is their product.
- Detailed working knowledge of modern sequencing methods, the field of genomics, and informatics. Demonstrated understanding of all “wet lab” elements in and around NGS, including sample and target prep, amplification and sequencing biochemistries, polymerase enzymology, surface immobilization of nucleic acids, sequence analysis algorithms pipelines and standard sequencing read out formats.
- Extensive and successful experience in product development, with a clear understanding of PDP and QMS processes. Has put successful products in a box.
- Working knowledge of developing products that are used in regulated (LDT and/or FDA approved) settings is desirable.
- Track record of working with operations teams to develop robust, cost effective, high quality and manufacturable products.
- Strong track record of publications and podium presentations essential. Well-known and respected in the genomics field is a plus.
- High degree of personal integrity, scientific rigor, strong interpersonal skills, comfortable in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Clearly recognized internally, based on professional track record and daily demeanor, company leadership for all reagent-based products outside of chips.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Works independently, but interactively.
- Enjoys and is effective giving scientific presentations, both internally and externally.
- Highly motivational and interactive both within his/her chain of command, but ability to interact and influence peers and CEO. High energy, but disciplined, approach to his/her departments work.
- Comfortable working in a high risk and resource limited environment.
What we offer:
- An amazing mission: Enabling everyone to decode the living world!
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Competitive medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents
- Fully sponsored Life, Short and Long-term Disability insurance
- FSA, 401(k) retirement plan
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks
- Weekly fancy High Tea and happy hours
- Free complex onsite gym membership
- Learning and growth opportunities
- Casual, but high-performing work environment
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of GenapSys.
If interested, please apply on our careers page: