Sr Scientist, Neuroscience
Why Engine Bio?
Engine Biosciences is a venture-backed biotechnology company integrating experimental biology and data science to map and decipher complex biological networks for more effective and efficient drug discovery. Our mission is to discover and accelerate development of new therapies for complex diseases by leveraging our unique and efficient discovery platform.
We are a fast-paced, innovative company. We are excited to have passionate and talented staff join our team in San Carlos. We offer excellent career growth opportunities, and a chance to work closely with experienced entrepreneurs and leading scientists from industry and top international institutions.
The candidate will work closely with our senior management and lead scientists in the area of neurology with focus on planning and executing critical experiments on our strategic projects. The successful candidate will bring cutting-edge, hands-on academic or industry expertise in functional genomics and phenotypic screens. In addition, they will manage collaborations with academic or pharmaceutical collaborators, thus will have demonstrated experience leading cross-functional projects with external collaborators.
- Hands-on molecular and cell biology in support of genetic screening, experimental design, resource planning, execution, and data analysis.
- Managing collaborations with external partners, including academic labs.
- Work collaboratively with the Engine teams across Asia and US.
- Investigating gene networks involved in neurodegenerative diseases. Investigation of new targets (including scRNAseq work in animal models).
- For drug discovery, reaching Go / No-Go decisions for peptide or small molecule drug testing. Lead communications with CROs for preclinical models.
- Writing scientific work plans and project proposals and managing budgets, timelines, communications, and priorities.
- Contribute to scientific strategy and planning as necessary. This work involves communication with scientists at other global locations, so some flexibility in working hours will be required.
- Ph.D. or Masters (with at least 8 years of relevant work experience) in neurology / cell biology / molecular biology / genomics
- In depth understanding of neurological diseases (additional experience in oncology, a plus)
- Experience in developing successful collaborations and relationships with academic and industrial partners and KoLs.
- Proven track record in planning and execution of genomic screens in either neurobiology or oncology. Analysis of functional genomic data to elucidate dynamic networks for therapeutic target identification.
- Strong experimental molecular and cell biology techniques, such as mammalian tissue culture including iPSC derived models.
- Familiarity with large genomic datasets – data mining, cross-referencing database information with primary literature. Analysis of NGS files, RNA-sequence data.
- Familiarity with in-vivo experimentation and models, including experience with rodent models of neurodegeneration and ideally scRNAseq in animal models.
- Ability to execute on complex, multiple projects within strict timelines.
- Excellence and rigor in data interpretation skills, demonstrated by a successful track record in overseeing projects.
- Cross-functional leadership experience, including experience working with global teams.
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills in proposing critical go/no-go decisions for projects.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills – verbal, written, and presentations.
- Experience mentoring junior scientists and research associates.
- At least 5 years of pharma R&D experience is preferred.
- Strong peer-reviewed publication record.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org