Process Development Engineer III, Chemical Process Development
The Purification & Chemical Process Development team is seeking a Process Development Engineer with experience in developing purification processes. The position requires experimental planning, data generation and analysis as well as modeling to provide predictive process capabilities, scale up, manufacturing support and implementation. The ideal candidate should be experienced from proof of concept at the bench to scale up and manufacturing, as well as scale down for optimization. Experience scaling up purification processes, with an emphasis on column purification and crystallization is preferred. One of the goals of the Chemical Process Development team is to build quality, safety, and cost-efficiency into processes as they are developed, using microbially-derived substrates to produce sustainable products. The position requires interactions with several disciplines, including analytical chemistry, manufacturing, environmental health & safety, and quality systems. Collaboration is key to the success of moving projects forward with safety as a priority for all Chemical Process Development activities.
- Responsibility for individual as well as co-worker safety and maintaining safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies.
- Hands on performance of laboratory, or piloting experiments to analyze and interpret data and develop models for predictive performance on manufacturing scale.
- Prepares estimated CAPEX for equipment modifications, and generates capital and variable cost estimates for purification and chemical processes.
- Management of resources, process cost models and timelines.
- Prepares experimental plans to meet process targets such as cost, specifications, efficiency and yield.
- Prepares longer term process development plans for proposed next generation processes to meet customer requirements and cost targets.
- Manages technology transfer from pilot scale to manufacturing scale.
- Determines mass and energy balances and engineers risk mitigation.
- Scales up processes safely through pre-hazard assessments and internal safety reviews, using appropriate documentation and thorough data generation.
- Generates SOPs, Process Development Reports, technology transfers and batch records.
- Provides critical assessment of process strategy and communicates success probabilities to stakeholders.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering, related discipline
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Established experience writing Development Reports, SOP’s and Technology Transfers.
- Hands-on experience with, adsorption and ion exchange columns, filtration systems, reactor systems and distillation units.
- Pilot and Manufacturing scale experience in processing bio-derived products
- Cost modeling, process design and statistical analysis
- Team oriented, with problem solving skills and effective communication skills.
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website http://www.amyris.com.