Principal/Senior Principal Scientist, Clinical Research, Infectious Disease
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The candidate is responsible for protocol development and medical/scientific oversight of clinical research studies involving new or marketed drugs in the infectious diseases (Clinical Research) group. The individual would participate in all phases of clinical trial process (mainly Phase II-V) including study design and medical monitoring (including focused concern for the protection of human subjects who participate in clinical trials), and medical/scientific interpretation of study analyses. The individual would apply an in-depth understanding of the disease under study and drug/vaccine pharmacology to the Infectious Disease franchise’s clinical development strategy and the implementation of short and long-term research objectives. He/she would provide internal scientific leadership for cross functional areas supporting clinical development and external leadership through interaction with key opinion leaders.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- MD from a recognized school of medicine, preferably with demonstrated expertise in Infectious Diseases subspecialty.
- Eligibility for medical licensure and board certification desirable.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Must have an M.D. or D.O. with a clear grasp of infectious diseases (preference for subspecialty in ID). A person with postgraduate program in Infectious Diseases sciences yielding a Pharm D. or Ph.D. degree and demonstrated expertise in a field of medicine or clinical research may also be considered for appointment to the position (under exceptional circumstances).
- Must have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
- Must have strong analytic skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Research background in design and implementation of clinical studies, familiarity with biostatistics, and/or regulatory review process is desirable.
- Proven leadership skills with ability to create and work in high performance teams and/or matrix organization.
- Must be able to collaborate to resolution and articulate clear scientific strategy.
- Prior pharmaceutical industry experience is desired.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Clinical Research (M.D.)
Other Locations: Rahway, NJ, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck