Manufacturing & Quality Engineer
Are you looking to disrupt the drug development process while leveraging automation, deep learning and big data? How about saving lives? Yes? Here’s the chance for you to make this a reality. Vium empowers biomedical investigators with technology that accelerates the preclinical drug discovery and development pipeline. Researchers can design, run, and analyze experiments that rapidly surface insights and high volumes of quality data. The platform improves the speed and reproducibility of preclinical research so that it is more predictive of how drugs perform in humans. The result is that better therapies get moved more quickly to patients who need them. Founded in 2013, we have a proven product, an awesome team, happy clients, smart investors and advisors, and plans to double in 2017 and beyond.
The manufacturing and quality engineer position oversees the development and implementation of manufacturing processes to maintain proper product functionality, cost efficiency, and improvement; ensures the engineering team and other manufacturing departments work together cohesively and is responsible for the development of equipment to aid in the manufacturing process; leads and directs the work of assigned manufacturing engineers and project engineers.
- Develop, teach and reinforce Vium production guidelines and protocols
- Analyze and work with suppliers to develop and design lean manufacturing work cells using effective systems and lean techniques to optimize quality and performance, use of space, equipment, material and personnel.
- Assist in developing supply chain strategies.
- Ensure vendors/subcontractors are manufacturing products according to product specifications.
- Determine and eliminate root causes of defects/deviations and diminish their occurrence in the manufacturing process.
- Ensure that all manufacturing product specifications are developed and testing procedures are in place before starting up vendors/subcontractors.
- Able to assist in reducing cost through re-engineering product/material.
- Work closely with research and development, quality assurance and maintenance personnel to prevent problems with products, tooling, and fixtures.
- Ensure all manufacturing regulatory policies and procedures are implemented and maintained at all times.
- Stay informed concerning new manufacturing technologies and equipment in order to manufacture and reduce cost through efficiencies.
- Responsible for training vendors/subcontractors on new product launches to meet target date.
- Collaborate with other departments to identify vulnerabilities then work closely with suppliers and operational gaps
- Focus on quality, cost management and business growth in all interactions and directives
- Prepare and submit reports to VP of Technology Operations
- Handle engineering communications with external suppliers
- Review or update manufacturing practices in accordance with new or changing environmental policies, standards, regulations, or laws.
- Assist in the assessment of vendor/subcontractor evaluation for consideration
- Monitor production performance to assess ability to meet quality and delivery requirements.
- 8+ yrs experience in a manufacturing environment role.
- 4+ yrs experience in quality and/or manufacturing engineering with contract manufacturing
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with external service providers.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with her/ his team and peers within the engineering organization.
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently, with strong organization and documentation skills.
- Exceptional capacity for managing simultaneous activities and challenges.
- Ability to use latest techniques in problem solving/analysis.
- Ability to project manage activities with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to lead, train and mentor employees on a personal level
- Ability to operate workplace and database software (MS Word, Excel, Visio, Access, etc).
- Knowledge in computer science and/or software (such as: PERL, SQL, python, C++, MATLAB) and mechatronic fields preferred.
●BS degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience.
More About Our Culture:
We’re a group of talented individuals across multiple disciplines, coming together to deliver great engineering!
- Say what we’ll do and then do it! As a growing team, we’ve increased collaboration between roles of development and operations.
- Have an attitude of shared responsibility and value building quality into the development process.
- Have a wide range of interests, which is why we’re in this company in the first place.
- Are focused on results more than hours-in-a-chair-at-the-office.
- Have great values and sense of community, while encouraging growth.
- Love what we do and love being part of a team that rewards trying new things.
What We Offer:
- Good salaries and benefits. Who doesn’t want that?
- Stock options
- Catered lunch most days and a fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks and delicious drinks (Hungry anyone?)
- Flexible work hours and Friday demo days/happy hours
- Relaxed office in San Mateo with a casual environment
- Company teambuilding days, fun parties, including a week in the Summer when we close up shop and go on vacation
Our corporate office is in San Mateo and the remote-controlled lab is in the South Bay.