Scientist, Biology - Host Pathogen Research
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking an innovative scientist to join the Investigational Biology team at our organization’s Exploratory Science Center (ESC) in Cambridge, MA.
A successful candidate will become part of a lab-based, creative and flexible team that:
- Will investigate: host/pathogen interactions, the influence of the microbiome on host immunity, and support screening efforts with the ultimate goal of delivering novel therapeutics to address significant unmet medical need in infectious disease as well as broader indications.
- Will leverage advances in the study of host-pathogen interactions and employ new technologies to impact programs.
- Candidates for the position should have expertise growing and working with bacterial and fungal strains, maintaining mammalian cell cultures, DNA cloning, western blotting, ELISA, microscopy and flow cytometry.
- Critical to success are a high degree of organization, a go-getter mentality, as well as advanced experimental capabilities.
Education Minimum Requirement: MS in microbiology/biology/biochemistry/Immunology or related discipline
Required Experience and Skills:
- 2+ years of laboratory research experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Bacteria isolation and growth, maintenance of mammalian cell culture
- Molecular biology: cloning, DNA and RNA purification, qPCR
- Western blotting, ELISA
- Minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) assay
- Effective English verbal and written skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- PhD microbiology/biology/biochemistry/Immunology or related discipline
- Prior experience working with fungal cultures
- In vivo experience: animal handling, adoptive transfers, oral gavages, animal dosing
- Flow cytometry
- Fluorescence/confocal microscopy.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: