Research Associate - Pharmaceutical Development
The Pharmaceutical Development department at Calithera Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated individual to prepare preclinical formulations and utilize analytical methods to characterize small molecule drug substance and drug product. The ideal candidate would exhibit attention to detail, excellent organization and record-keeping skills, as well as the ability to quickly learn and apply new techniques.
Calithera is focused on discovering and developing small molecule drugs that slow tumor growth through controlling key metabolic pathways in the tumor and immune cells.
Tumor metabolism and tumor immunology are promising new interrelated fields for cancer drug discovery. Recent clinical successes have demonstrated the potential to slow abnormal cell growth and create fundamentally new therapies for cancer patients. Our investigational onco-metabolism medicines take advantage of the specific metabolic requirements of tumor cells and cancer-fighting immune cells.
Calithera’s discovery and development efforts are focused on diseases for which new treatments are urgently needed for patients suffering from renal cell carcinoma, triple negative breast cancer and other tumor types.
- Use standard laboratory techniques (microbalance, pH meter, pipette) to prepare test solutions of research compounds for biological assays and to prepare other various laboratory solutions (buffers, etc.)
- Prepare and characterize formulations and preformulations for preclinical studies
- Provide analytical support for small molecule preformulation development, formulation, stability and other studies
- Assist in analytical methods transfer to contract research organizations (CROs) and contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) engaged in drug substance and drug product development and production
- Effectively communicate in oral and/or written form to internal or external audiences
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members
- Write technical reports as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, or a related field
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational and record-keeping skills is essential
- Ability to learn and apply new techniques in a fast-paced environment where priorities can shift quickly
- Excellent independent problem-solving abilities, reasoning skills, and ability to perform scientific calculations
- Understanding of basic laboratory safety is required, including the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Comfortable handling chemicals and working on a small scale
- Self-motivated, collaborative, and effective at communicating
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment