Scientist - Bioinformatics
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Scientist - Bioinformatics
Scientists in the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology department at Genentech work in a highly embedded and highly collaborative model with colleagues across the Research organization. Our work is primarily focused on the analysis of high dimensional molecular data, derived from either pre-clinical models or clinical trial samples, to provide insight into basic disease biology or to develop diagnostic tools that can help identify subsets of patients who may benefit from specific therapeutic interventions.
Our department seeks a highly motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to collaborate closely with the Immunology Discovery and Immunology Diagnostics departments in the development of novel therapeutics and biomarkers used in the treatment of immune diseases including asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Applicants should be able to work comfortably on an interdisciplinary team with members of these departments, and should have a strong desire to pursue creative solutions to challenging problems.
Who You Are
- You have a PhD with Postdoctoral experience in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology or similar field, and preferably have experience in the field of Immunology
- You can work successfully as the bioinformatics lead in cross functional teams that contribute to drug and biomarker development
- You enjoy working closely with bench scientists collaboratively to solve complex biological problems
- You have experience working with large scale genomic data (e.g. RNA- seq, single cell assays, genotype, microarrays, etc.)
- You are passionate about applying your skills in genomics analysis to utilize bioinformatics methods (e.g. from Bioconductor) to understand the biology of disease
- You are comfortable writing code in languages such as R, Matlab, Perl, or Python for bioinformatics analyses
- You are able to present complex results, both verbally and in writing, to bioinformatics audiences and non-bioinformatics audiences
- You have a deep interest in biology and will be able to contribute to scientific efforts focused on understanding diseases
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.