Director, Space Planning & Design
Why Join Us?
To be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a biopharmaceutical company committed to bringing to patients novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases, with a focus on serious, debilitating genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best, because we never lose sight of our mission – to make a difference in our patients’ lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
ultrafocused – Work together to fearlessly uncover new possibilities
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is growing rapidly and seeks an experienced individual that can lead the space planning and design efforts the company is embarking upon to meet its growing demand for office, laboratory and manufacturing space. This role affords one the opportunity to help shape the Space Planning and Design group.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Corporate Operations, the Director, Space Planning & Design, will be responsible for leading space planning and design for the company’s North American sites. In this role they will work closely in a collaborative fashion with the Financial Planning and Analysis team and senior management across the company to define space requirements and plan near term and long range space needs. Responsible for proactively developing a data driven strategic space plan with quarterly updates supporting the company’s growth is a key responsibility. Leading the space planning effort and working closely with the Capital Projects and Engineering teams to develop design standards and project execution plans ensuring space does not inhibit the company’s growth is the primary responsibility of the Director, Space Planning & Design.
Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Collaborate with users in Information Technology, Human Resources, Research, Pharm/Tox, Bioassay Development, Quality, Process Development, Manufacturing, Clinical, Regulatory, Commercial, Administrative and other groups to define space requirements and document them in a quarterly updated space plan for the North American offices.
- Work with the Capital Projects team to define schedules for needed space ensuring projects complete in sufficient time such that space does not constrain growth.
- Develop design and work place standards based on input from users and senior management. Work collaboratively with the Engineering team to document the designs and standards. Work with HR to develop communication and change management efforts.
- Develop data driven space estimate models to support the annual and LRP budget process.
- Support development of space justification briefings for executive leadership and the board of directors.
- Represent the Space Planning team both internally and externally in a positive and professional manner.
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary team setting with users, engineering, project controls and other support groups on space projects.
- Define the statement of work for space plan and design contracts and manage the legal process through contract execution.
- Participate in capital projects by managing the architecture and design efforts to ensure successful project completion with requisite quality.
- Support and participate in annual and LRP budget planning process.
- Support space planning & design organization strategy
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- BS in Architecture, Interior Design, Engineering, Science or related discipline
- Data driven analytical approach to decision making and planning
- Detail orientation
- Knowledge and basic familiarity with space planning, and engineering tools; e.g. AutoCAD.
- Creative, flexible approach to problem solving
- Significant experience with planning office space in a high growth environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A keen negotiation sense and experience to differentiate user needs versus wants
- Experience developing a space planning methodology, presentations and briefing users and upper management
- Agility and flexibility in a fast paced environment
- A motivated self-starter with ability to work with minimal direction to achieve objectives
- Extensive follow-though
- Drug development process familiarity and understanding of the facilities implications
- Experience using MS Office; specifically PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Word
- Minimum 12 years work experience planning space needs, 5-7 years managing annual corporate space planning in a pharma or biotech organization
- MBA, Advanced Architecture or Design degree
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and workflows
- Familiarity with the GxP process and workflows
People Management Skills:
- Clarify Direction & Priorities: Set clear direction for your direct reports aligned with functional and corporate goals. Reprioritize work, as needed. Enable others to do their job well by communicating information and making decisions in a clear, timely manner.
- Partner & Collaborate Effectively: Listen to and value others’ thoughts and ideas. Demonstrate effective partnership both within and outside your team. Achieve results with and through others.
- Support Learning & Growth: Demonstrate self-awareness, humility, and curiosity in service of self-development. Provide regular coaching and feedback that will inspire growth and improvement in others.
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.