Biology Lab & Operations Manager
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at http://www.pharmacyclics.com/
General Position Summary/Purpose: We are seeking a Biology Operation Manager with experience in the daily operations that will support, manage and facilitate activities in the biology wet lab that support the activities of Research, Translational Medicine as well as the Discovery team. The candidate will be working closely with senior principal scientist and accountable for the successful operational planning, building infrastructure to maximize efficiency and productivity of lab staff as well as execution and handling of lab needs, including but not limited to: optimal conditioning/maintenance of lab equipment/instruments, developing and maintaining cell and sample banks, compound handling, storage, banking, distribution, developing software/hardware connections to facilitate lab operations. Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
Inventory control and ordering of laboratory supplies and reagents - receipt and delivery of incoming packages, checking for expired reagents, following up on orders, etc. Good communication with staff and external vendors is essential
Placing orders daily in procurement system (Microsoft AX process expert), working with end-users and procurement to ensure orders are placed in an accurate and timely manner.
Preparation of DMSO stock solutions for in-house synthesized compounds and their Distribution/Tracking upon request from various departments to ensure on-time delivery to support their research work
Ensure point-of-use areas/common stock is maintained with required inventory levels. Record keeping of bio-samples and small molecule compounds, capital equipment, maintenance records, etc.
Scheduling lab equipment maintenance including de-frosting deep freezers (-80*C and -20*C) and calibration. Prioritize tasks and assignments to maximize efficiency and productivity
Respond to new requests with appropriate urgency and an organized approach. Show motivation to learn new things in the lab and work with team leads to automate the compound tracking system and should be willing to take additional responsibilities, if needed
Be an advocate for lab safety and work with EHS team to ensure all bio-hazard and chemical waste are removed and disposed properly.
Interface between vendors, IT, field scientists to facilitate effectiveness in the labs.
Ensure proper functioning of computers interfaced with lab instruments and their routine backup functions are enabled. Make IT requests to put all the computers on network and prepare a log book for all lab equipment
Own and keep track of lab supplies and instrument budget assigned to the research and translational medicine department
- A BS/MS or equivalent degree in biological sciences with at least 3-5 years working full time in a laboratory setting either in an academia or industry
- Basic knowledge of computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel) including purchasing process system (Microsoft Dynamics AX) is required.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles is a plus.
- Demonstrate competency and have a collaborative drive to work with peers, partners, and others, including individuals outside of the team and functional area, to positively impact business performance and optimize the input of those involved.
- Strong people and organizational skills is a must.
- Past proven effectiveness in lab operations
- Outstanding knowledge of overall drug development process relevant to pharmaceutical and/or biotech organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with staff and key stakeholders and should have good conflict management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way.
- Strong influence and negotiation skills.
- Results and detail-oriented; self-motivated.
- Working knowledge/understanding of best-practice alliance/collaboration management principles and concepts, techniques and tools. Experience in contract management with CROs, collaborators, a big plus.