Senior Scientist I, Immunology Discovery
AbbVie Immunology is expanding its early discovery at Cambridge, Massachusetts. This new immunology research group at AbbVie Cambridge Research Center (ACRC) will focus on identifying new targets for the treatment of autoimmune and chronic inflammatory diseases through computational analysis of human disease tissue derived datasets, and validating targets using in vitro and in vivo experimental approaches. We are seeking a highly skilled and dedicated individual with immunology laboratory experience and bioinformatics expertise to partner with a functional genomics group and with in vivo pharmacologists to develop novel platforms for target selection and validation. This position requires passion, attention to detail, hands-on experience and teamwork.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Identification and validation of novel targets for the treatment of inflammatory conditions.
- Development of strategic plans to guide the selection and prioritization of identified targets.
- Generate proof of concept data supporting target Go/No Go decisions using in vitro and in vivo platforms.
- Conceptualize and execute novel approaches for target discovery and contribute to new technology development and platform building.
- Planning and coordination of experiments with internal and external team members and facility operations.
- Analysis and presentation of in vitro and in vivo study data, providing scientific interpretations and recommendations in lab meetings and project team meetings.
- Maintaining accurate and well-organized records and laboratory notebooks.
- Supporting development of protocols, study reports and data presentations.
- BS, MS or PhD in Immunology/Biological Sciences or in a related discipline with 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS) or 0+ (PhD) hands-on experience working in a laboratory.
- Expertise in the study of inflammatory diseases such IBD and/or other rheumatic disorders. Experience in human tissue processing is a plus.
- Proficient in laboratory skills such as animal models, tissue handling for molecular and cellular phenotyping, multicolor flow cytometry and cell sorting, and gene and protein cellular and tissue expression.
- Independent design, development and evaluation of well-controlled in vitro assays to address target biology and drug biology.
- Experience in generating knockout, knockdown or enzymatically inactive target protein cell systems using approaches such as siRNA, shRNA and CRISPR for testing target validation hypotheses is desirable.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be a quick-learner and be a team-player.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.