Senior Associate Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology & Toxicology
The Preclinical Development group works with bluebird bio's discovery platforms and translational research teams to generate the hypotheses, mechanism-of-action, and efficacy data that fuel the bluebird pipeline. We also work with our clinical and regulatory teams to generate the toxicology and biodistribution data that is critical to translating each of bluebird's innovative therapies safely from research into patients. In doing so, we continuously strive towards our mission to be the biotech world's best preclinical development organization for immunotherapy and gene therapy. Our valued associates experience room to grow their careers, a supportive, flexible and collaborative work environment, and respect for a diversity of experiences and perspectives.
- Design, plan and execute in vivo studies including xenogeneic mouse tumor models and murine stem cell engraftment models in collaboration with research scientists.
- Perform routine injections (sc, ip, iv) in mice, monitor animal health, collect blood samples, measure tumors, perform necropsies and collect and record data.
- Perform in vitro assays in support of PK / PD studies including ELISA, ELISPOT, flow cytometric and qPCR analysis of blood, serum and tissue samples.
- Analyze data using software including Excel and GraphPad Prism; prepare and present data to various groups within the organization.
- Establish new animal models as needed, including pilot studies for model development and troubleshooting.
- Contribute to the initial and recurrent training of junior vivarium staff members.
- Perform routine cell culture and maintain tumor cell lines used in xenograft models.
- BA/BS or MS with 7-10 years' experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with in vivo animal studies required, including animal handling, performing routine injections, necropsy, collection of blood and tissues
- Expertise with murine intravenous injections is critical
- Desire and drive to learn and understand the basic biologic mechanisms underpinning our immunotherapy and gene therapy products
- Experience in maintaining a laboratory notebook and following written protocols
- Familiarity with programs such as Excel, GraphPad Prism and PowerPoint for data entry, analysis and presentation
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and "do-what-it-takes" attitude
- Independently motivated, detail-oriented and excellent problem-solving abilities
- Excellent organizational skills towards multi-tasking in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Comfortable with rapidly changing schedules and priorities
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself