Research Associate- Srivastava Lab
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), transforming the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the fields focused on heart disease, immunology and virology including HIV/AIDS, and neurological disease. Home to notable leaders in the field of medical science, including 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine recipient Shinya Yamanaka, M.D.,Ph.D. Gladstone is comprised of its three historical institutes in addition to various Centers and programs focusing approximately 500 members of our team on its mission: Science Overcoming Disease. Located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and benefits program within a robust environment for those seeking to maximize their potential. Please consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health.
The laboratory of Deepak Srivastava at the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease is seeking an enthusiastic Research Associate who will assist a Postdoctoral fellow and graduate student in developmental cardiovascular biology projects. The main goals of the projects are to understand the mechanistic roles of transcription factors in the embryonic mouse heart using sophisticated single cell RNA-seq and microscopy techniques. This is an excellent training opportunity for any candidate who wishes to pursue graduate or medical school studies.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Mouse embryo dissections and preparation of embryos for single cell RNA-seq experiments, histological assays such as cryo-sectioning and paraffin-sectioning, and whole mount imaging
- Histology methods including sectioning of frozen and paraffin embedded tissue, in situ hybridizations and immunostaining
- Microscopy of whole mount and sectioned samples including: stereomicroscope imaging, confocal and light-sheet microscopy
- Maintenance of mouse breeding colony containing multiple transgenic mouse lines and use of timed-mating procedures
- General cell and molecular biology including gel electrophoresis, western blots, cell culture, PCR, etc.
- General lab upkeep duties such as ordering and organization of lab supplies, equipment and reagents
B.S. or M.S. in biological sciences with 1-3 years of relevant work experience
Prior experience with mouse dissections/surgery, primary culture isolation and management of rodent breeding colony strongly preferred
Experience with histological preparation techniques
Excellent teamwork, organizational, communication and time-management skills
The competitive candidate will also possess one or more of the following competencies:
Prior experience with microscopy techniques, including confocal imaging and light sheet microscopy
Any bioinformatics or coding experience with R, Perl, or Matlab