Senior Project Manager - Cardiology / Neurology
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) - Cardiology / Neurology, based out of our global headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA supports the cross-functional drug development and commercialization activities of pipeline or inline products at Amgen. The SPM will be report into the Director of Global Program Management.
The Senior Project Manager serves as a strategic partner to leaders of the Product Teams in the execution of the strategic vision of the program. Strategy execution occurs via three cross-functional sub-teams called Work Package Teams (WPTs). The WPTs include 1) Evidence Generation Teams (EGTs) that are focused on clinical development activities 2) Product Delivery Teams (PDTs) that are focused on operations/manufacturing activities 3) Insights & Brand Platform Teams (IBPTs) that are focused on global marketing, pricing, access, and reimbursement activities.
The Senior Project Manager drives the development and execution of high quality, global, integrated cross-functional project plans for one or more products in support of the overall program strategy. In addition, the SPM may be asked to lead and/or participate in special department, cross-functional, or team projects.
The Senior Project Manager is specifically responsible for:
- Identifying key deliverables for each function and their inter-dependencies
- Driving planning for key drug development stage-gate decision points (e.g., First in Human, End of Phase 2, Filing, and Launch)
- Implementing best practices and ensuring cross-functional alignment and accountability
- Identifying project issues or resource gaps and facilitating resolution
- Reinforcing proper decision making according to Amgen's Decision Making Framework
- Monitoring and communicating progress and adherence to timelines
- Facilitating resource planning, financial and capacity assessments
- Conducting risk management, contingency and scenario planning using a variety of project management tools
- Adapting and thriving in a changing environment and building high-preforming cross-functional teams
The Senior Project Manager manages WPT team effectiveness by:
- Driving the development and timely execution of annual WPT goals and input to the Global Product Strategy
- Identifying and efficiently resolving issues, driving decisions, and tracking action items; appropriate issue escalation
- Partnering with GPM/ WPT Lead to develop governance board deliverables and subsequent implementation of decisions
- Developing strong partnerships with external business partners and strategic alliances, where applicable
- Constructively challenging teams by providing disconfirming information and encouraging innovative problem solving
The Senior Project Manager drives effective WPT communication by:
- Serving as a single point of contact for cross-functional WPT information (content and quality)
- Communicating cross-functional project information at WPT meetings and to other stakeholders, as appropriate
- Ensuring alignment of functional and regional issues within the WPT
- Demonstrating strong written/oral communication skills and executive presence across functions and across different levels of leadership
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Project Management experience
Master's degree and 4 years of Project Management experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of Project Management experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Project Management experience
High School diploma / GED and 12 years of Project Management experience
- Advanced degree or strong demonstration of equivalent combination of relevant educational and professional training experience in leading cross-functional teams
- 8 years' industry experience in the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or other Healthcare-related field
- 4 years' experience in a drug development Project Management role
- Drug Development knowledge with basic to strong understanding of other functions relevant to the position which may include: Research, Preclinical, Clinical, Manufacturing, Commercial and Regulatory
- Proven record of implementing Project Management tools, methodologies, practices and infrastructure, as related to the Biopharmaceutical Industry
- Informed with current biopharmaceutical industry knowledge, news and trends and ability to apply to programs
- Independent, motivated, team member with experience in a matrix environment
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.