Senior Manager, Cost Accounting
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
Senior Manager, Cost Accounting
This position will work within the accounting team in a variety of responsibility areas while ensuring compliance with U.S. GAAP, SOX requirements, and internal policies and procedures (Pharmacyclics, (PCYC) as well as Abbvie were relevant).
The Senior Manager of Cost Accounting will be responsible for several month end close process functions, primarily focused on Cost Accounting of Inventory, Cost of Goods Sold (COGS), Inventory related reserves, prepaid and overheads and Standard cost to Actual accounting of Inventory and variances included Product Price Variance and Inventory Price Variance, as well as administrative and process improvement activities including refining standard job cost and documentation of processes. The Senior Manager will be required to lead a team and will be responsible for the development of team members. This function also requires critical thinking and the ability to leverage contacts in other departments to complete ad-hoc projects which arise. The Senior Manager of Accounting should have excellent analytical, reasoning, and organizational skills and exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in a team environment is critical.
- Facilitate and review monthly close procedures, including journal entries
- Perform reviews over account reconciliations and work with other team members as well as Supply Chain and FP&A to resolve any discrepancies
- Perform control procedures and provide support for Internal Control testing
- Review consolidation of worldwide Inventory, both of the local team and that of the Swiss entity (GmbH)
- Review Excess & Obsolete calculation to analyze accrual requirements
- Review overhead Analysis and Calculation to capitalize to inventory
- Review the Record Deferred COGs based on Deferred Revenue Analysis
- Review analysis of Prepaid Inventory based on timing of payments and receipt of inventory.
- Develop the Cost Accounting Team through coaching on various related topics, providing explanations, and allowing for broad experiences.
- Other duties/special projects as assigned, which may include procuring data from outside sources and analyzing given sets of data. Improving standard procedures and automating manual processes, as well as seeking system improvements and standardization to AbbVie as relevant.
- BA degree in Accounting, CMA plus, preferable CPA
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP accounting
- Minimum 10+ years of cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Must have ERP experience preferable with Dynamix AX (Microsoft) and SAP system preferable.
- Must have advanced Excel skills.
- Strong understanding of SOX accounting standards.
- Pharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Pays close attention to details, has multi-tasking ability, and is highly organized
- Efficient, required to be hands-on, and must be able to work manage at team and provide supervision
- Should be able to work under pressure and at a fast pace
- Able to identify and analyze sources of problems, patterns, and anomalies
- Maintain workable knowledge of U.S. GAAP, and able to grasp accounting and finance concepts quickly
- Experience leading and coaching a team and experience working with more junior team members a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be flexible and able to work well as part of a team to meet deadlines