Sr. Process Development Engineer/Principal PD Engineer
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. We have factories in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Thailand and the United States. Corbion has a worldwide network of sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries. Quality, product innovation, and customer orientation are important attributes for our client, which is also characterized by being a collegial, informal and result-oriented company culture.
Corbion’s Algae Ingredients business is based in South San Francisco and leads the industry in developing new applications and markets for algae-based products. We have a range of sustainably produced algae products that deliver breakthrough innovations for human and animal nutrition.
We are seeking a Sr. Process Development Engineer (or Principal PD Engineer) to lead our Process Development group. This key position provides technical leadership for downstream processing of microalgae biomass and oils. The position delivers results through effective leadership of a small team of scientists and engineers, and builds and maintains effective cross-functional partnerships with key stakeholders. This positon is based in South San Francisco and reports into the VP of Science and Technology.
- Provides technical leadership for downstream processing of microalgae biomass and oils, including conceptualization, experimental design, and execution of research and development projects, both in lab and pilot scale settings.
- Ensures the development of robust, cost-effective processes for deployment into Manufacturing.
- Conducts data analysis of downstream processing performance at manufacturing sites with the goal of identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Suggests solutions to manufacturing challenges based on solid experimental data and implements those recommendations working closely with Tech Transfer and Manufacturing teams.
- Periodically reviews and optimizes existing procedures for downstream processing at pilot and manufacturing sites.
- Interacts with outside partners, third-party service providers, process equipment manufacturers, and contractors on issues related to microalgae biomass and oil processing.
- Provides technical training and mentoring to entry-level engineers and pilot plant associates.
- Doctoral degree and/or Masters’ degree with focus in Chemical Engineering (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of industrial experience in downstream processing of fermentation-derived products.
- Skillful in problem solving and troubleshooting equipment and procedures.
- Proven skills building and maintaining productive relationships within multi-disciplinary teams involving research and development, process development, and manufacturing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Strong project management, organization, facilitation, problem solving, and quantitative analysis skills are essential
- Ability to independently create and deliver clear, compelling and effective technical presentations to colleagues and managers
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment without sacrificing accuracy and quality of work. Some travel to other Corbion locations may be required.
HOW TO APPLY:
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Corbion’s home page at www.corbion.com/careers. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the local Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.