Associate Director, Bioinformatics
We are seeking a creative, highly motivated and experienced Bioinformatician to build a team and establish a bioinformatics platform at our South San Francisco site to support the generation and characterization of new algal strains for the production of triglyceride oils for a broad range of applications - including aquaculture, food, chemical, and personal care. This individual will be responsible for developing and implementing bioinformatics tools to help our research team better understand our non-model production organisms and identify strategies to improve their performances. He/she will also oversee the maintenance of our internal LIMS and assist in its integration with external software. In this role, he/she will serve as the resident Bioinformatics expert. This is a truly unique opportunity to work with novel organisms in a highly interactive and dynamic environment.
- Establish and optimize bioinformatics pipeline for genome assembly and analyses of genomic and transcriptomic data from NGS of production strains
- Adapt off-the-shelf bioinformatics tools or write custom scripts for genome annotation, gene modeling, variant calling, SNP genotyping, and other analyses to meet specific program needs
- Develop and implement bioinformatics tools for data mining and visualization by wet lab scientists
- Collaborate with research team to implement and test bioinformatics-driven hypotheses for strain improvement
- Identify new opportunities for use of bioinformatics tools to advance current and future strain development efforts through gene discovery, protein engineering, metabolic engineering, and process optimization
- Maintain internal LIMS with third party and write integration code to enable interaction with external software
- Build and manage a team of 2 – 3 scientists or bioinformatics developers
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in BioInformatics, Computational Biology or related field
- 8 - 10 years of experience in Bioinformatics, preferably with eukaryotic organisms such as plants or algae
- In-depth understanding of next-generation sequencing (NGS) methods for whole-genome sequencing and RNA sequencing
- Detailed knowledge of NGS analysis and visualization tools for data mining and interpretation
- Hands-on experience with de novo genome assembly, gene annotation, gene modeling, variant calling, SNP genotyping and transcriptome analysis
- Prior experience with synthetic biology, primer design, codon optimization and related areas are desirable
- Experience with Geneious or a related sequence analysis package
- Strong knowledge of Linux operating system, database query languages (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and programming languages (Python, PHP)
- Experience with cloud-computing environments (AWS)
- Innovative self-starter with ability to successfully move projects to completion
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to manage external collaborations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to hire, manage and develop junior team members
HOW TO APPLY:
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Corbion’s home page at www.corbion.com/careers. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the local Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.