Associate Director - Molecular Genetics
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as an Associate Director, Molecular Genetics in Early Target Discovery at our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As an Associate Director working on the Early Target Discovery team, you will be empowered to lead target discovery and validation efforts that utilize patient genetics in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders with Takeda's related Drug Discovery Unit.
- The Associate Director of Early Target Discovery, based in San Diego, is responsible for and supervising project leadership of target identification and validation (TIDVAL) efforts in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities that employ cutting edge technologies in the areas of molecular genetics and functional genomics and lead to the initiation of formal drug discovery campaigns by Takeda Research
- The Associate Director coordinates the Early Target Discovery’s TIDVAL efforts leveraging patient genetics in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders with Takeda’s related Drug Discovery Unit
- The Associate Director coordinates a matrixed group culture that is agile, proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing
- The Associate Director insures that the group is employing the most current, effective and applicable technologies in high throughput molecular biology, functional genomics, and patient genetics, whether internally or externally, to initiate Takeda’s drug discovery programs
- Coordinates the Early Target Discovery’s TIDVAL efforts in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders with Takeda’s related Drug Discovery Unit, DDU
- Serves as project leader and supervisor of project leaders to identify high quality targets in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders leading to initiation of drug discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit priorities
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group’s internal capabilities so that the group is best capable to advance and prioritize Takeda’s drug discovery programs through functional genomics and human genetics follow up techniques for target identification and validation, TIDVAL, whether internally or externally
- Leads the identification, evaluation and utilization of new and emerging technologies for rapid target identification and validation, TIDVAL based on patient genetics and disease biomarker discovery
- Oversees effective and productive execution of collaborations, consortiums, and other external relationships relating to target identification and validation, TIDVAL and biomarker discovery
- Works effectively to partner with Takeda research leaders in other functional areas to champion patient genetics for target identification and validation, TIDVAL and prioritization of drug discovery projects
- Supports an overall group culture that is agile, proactive, collaborative, innovative, and external facing
- Mentors and develops individual talent capable of taking on future leadership roles
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in human genetics or functional/molecular genomics with publication(s), and a combined 10+ years of postdoctoral and biotech/pharma drug discovery experience including 5+ years of supervisory experience OR MS in genetics and minimum 12+ years of biotech/pharma experience in application of human genetics for target identification and validation including 5+ years of supervisory experience
- Effective leader and mentor in a matrixed environment that can motivate a high functioning team of scientists to cultivate critical path thinking and agility for impactful drug discovery
- Proven track record of applying human genetics and/or functional genomics target identification and validation, TIDVAL in drug discovery in one of the therapeutic areas is a critical requirement: Neurological or Autoimmune disorders, ideally in diseases aligned with Takeda’s interests within these therapeutic areas
- Experience in genome-wide association study - GWAS, extreme phenotypes genetics, and/or protective allele discovery is required
- Experience identifying rare inherited disease variants through whole genome sequencing in patient cohorts with shared ancestry is a plus
- Experience effectively managing external collaborations and service providers and able to bring pragmatic business minded approach to balancing utilization of internal and external capabilities
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in human genetics and functional genomics as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and clinical candidates
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.