Synthetic Genomics programs the operating system of life to create sustainable solutions for humankind’s most pressing issues, from the wellbeing of our population to the health of our planet. With an unmatched understanding of how DNA drives all living organisms, SGI modifies and writes genomes to enable transformative products in the areas of vaccines, medicines, and biofuels. The company is now advancing personalized medicine with unique systems that could change how we defeat the deadliest diseases. Software is a big part of this. The SGI Computational Biology & Software Engineering group is developing new Cloud-based bioinformatics systems to manage discovery processes and creating tools to help SGI scientists do even better. The team is looking for Bioinformatics Scientists who are passionate about their craft, thrive on challenges, and believe in success through collaboration.
The successful candidate will be part of the SGI Computational Biology team in La Jolla, CA. The candidate will work on cluster and cloud-based platforms, design and build new algorithms, data-store solutions, and pipelines. As a Bioinformatics Scientist, the candidate is a self-starter, experienced in diverse aspects of NGS analyses, associated secondary analyses tools, and confident in programming and statistical analyses. The candidate will need excellent communication and analytical/troubleshooting skills in identifying problems and implementing efficient solutions in a dynamic and evolving environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The candidate’s role will be to work with scientists to understand their experiments and data analysis needs, deliver tools and algorithms that can perform these analyses, and deliver these results to the scientists. The candidate will be working on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires a detailed evaluation of possible factors. The candidate will be a team player and a focused individual with a strong work ethic and great attention to detail.
The position’s direct responsibilities will include:
- Applying bioinformatics experience working in areas such as immunology, secondary and tertiary protein folding, genome editing with CRISPR platforms, synthetic biology, or machine learning/deep learning to the needs of SGI programs.
- Using publicly available bioinformatics tools, algorithms, and websites, and applying these to analyses needs.
- Developing tools to analyze data using programming skills in Python and R.
- Demonstrating a solid scientific proficiency, creativity, ability to collaborate effectively with others, and use independent thought processes.
- Working comfortably in a small team with extensive interactions with scientists inside and outside the SGI R&D organization.
- Excellent communication skills and a broad knowledge of the company’s technologies.
- Ability to distill and relay complex scientific concepts to diverse stakeholders within the organization.
Education and Experience
- MS or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Genomic Sciences, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbial Ecology or a related field; Minimum of 1-3 years of post-degree experience, preferably in an industrial environment.
- Demonstrated experience of using bioinformatics tools and approaches to solve scientific problems and reach successful conclusions.
- Recent bioinformatics experience supporting scientific advancements in areas such as immunology and immune-oncology will be a strong plus.
- Experience in NGS data analysis, including algorithm development. Experience with general NGS data analysis tools such as SAMtools, Pysam, Picard Tools, Bowtie, BWA, and CLC Genomics Workbench.
- Strong experience developing and debugging tools in programming languages such as Python, R, C/C++, Java, Perl, or Matlab.
- Experience working with databases (ex. SQL/NoSQL).
- Experience with Cloud development, including some experience in developing microservices, use of Docker containers and experience using pipelining tools such as Galaxy or NextFlow