Scientist I, Toxicology
AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. The company's mission is to apply the expertise, dedication, and creativity of its people to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs more than 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica®, Venclexta™, and Empliciti™ — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position will be based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location. Description We are seeking a Scientist/Toxicologist to contribute to the success of an exciting oncology pipeline. As a key team member, this role is responsible for the toxicology studies needed to bring early discovery targets to candidate selection stage. This includes: study design, dosage selection, study initiation, study conduct, data review, and study reports. The successful candidate will report to head of Toxicology group at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location. Primary/core responsibilities:
- Work closely with head of toxicology to develop an overall nonclinical strategy to rapidly advance early oncology targets to candidate selection
- Assist in early target safety review/evaluation and design of relevant de-risking and/or target safety validation studies.
- Assist in design and conduct of early screening toxicity studies to support novel linker/drugs and/or novel oncology modalities.
- Function as project planner for toxicities studies to support Stemcentrx oncology portfolio, including study request, protocol development, contract implementation, test article procurement, and timeline commitments.
- Assist in design and conduct of investigative toxicity studies and establishing appropriate in vitro/Ex vivo screening models for screening and mechanistic assays.
- Bachelors/Masters with equivalent experience with 4-5 years in toxicology and/or pharmacology discipline.
- Proficient at working independently as well as in team settings.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Experience in design of toxicology and/or pharmacology research studies.
- Strong working knowledge of MS office software, Adobe Acrobat Pro or equivalent.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills, teamwork, and attention to detail.
- Ability to rapidly adapt schedule to accommodate evolving project needs.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.