Senior Scientist, Technical Lead
Senior Scientist, Technical Lead
Full Time, Exempt
Senior Manager, Sample Collection Product Development
San Diego, CA
Biomatrica’s mission is to contribute to the development of better diagnostics, with improved access for patients globally. Based in San Diego, Biomatrica is privately held. The company is founded on a compound library and intellectual property which it deploys to collect, protect and store biomaterials subject to degradation, including nucleic acids, proteins, and cells. The applications are broad and include diagnostics, biobanking, research, and industrial. The company recently introduced an innovative line of CE-IVD marked sample collection products for: (1) cell-free DNA and tumor cells in blood for pre-natal testing and liquid biopsy, (2) DNA in saliva for medical and personal genomics, (3) RNA and DNA for gene expression testing.
The Senior Scientist in the Sample Collection Product Development group is responsible for independently driving research, assay/platform development, product development, verification, and validation activities. This individual creates and executes focused, goal-oriented study designs, analyzes data, interprets results, and communicates in the form of internal presentations to cross-functional teams, externally-facing slides/posters, and design control documentation. He or she works cross-functionally with members of R&D, Operations, and Quality departments to achieve project goals. The Senior Scientist provides technical leadership for a variety of projects, helps manage the activities of more junior members of the team, and stays up-to-date with relevant scientific studies and literature. The Senior Scientist must have molecular/molecular diagnostics expertise, possess excellent communication (technical and interpersonal) skills, possess excellent organization and time management skills, and be goal-oriented with a focus on deliverables.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design studies to achieve technical project deliverables
- Serve as technical lead for sample collection products, owning and driving technical aspects of product development, design transfer, verification, validation, and clinical trials, and functioning independently as a technical subject matter expert
- Contribute technical knowledge to improve laboratory capabilities in research and development efforts
- Manage activities to produce deliverables for assigned projects
- Analyze and interpret complex data
- Present clear project summaries in written and verbal formats to internal and external scientific and management teams
- Ph.D. or equivalent work experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields
- Minimum 2 years in IVD product or biotech/pharma development
- Expertise in molecular diagnostics, liquid biopsy, cfDNA, and/or related areas
- Superior writing skills and experience preparing design control documentation (study protocols, reports, work instructions, etc.)
- Significant experience with and understanding of statistics and statistical methods
- Experience with clinical trials a strong bonus
- Strong technical leadership, communication, organization, and presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage several activities/projects in parallel, paying attention both to detail and to how deliverables fit into the broader picture
- Ability to forge strong working relationships with internal cross-functional teams and external project partners
- Ability to proactively identify product and project risks, troubleshoot, and implement solutions
- Ability to travel as required (10%)
Please note: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
If you are looking for a position with growth potential in an exciting industry, please forward your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com and note “Senior Scientist” in the subject line of your e-mail. Please send attachments in MS Word or PDF format only with “your name-resume” and “your name-cover letter” as the document name. Relocation reimbursement is not available for this position.