Director, Medical Science Liaisons - Western
Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) are field-based and report to a Field Director within Medical Affairs. MSLs are scientifically trained professionals with strong clinical and/or scientific backgrounds with excellent communication skills. They are responsible for identifying, developing, and managing relationships with current and future hematology and oncology thought leaders in academic and community practices.This position will manage a regional Field Medical team. Working with the national head of the Field Medical organization, this position will provide strategic and operational support for executing the ongoing Field Medical tactical plan in support of Medical Affairs Strategic Objectives & Imperatives. RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Manage and develop all Field Medical team members within the region including hiring, field training, evaluation, motivation and disciplinary activities in alignment with the company's corporate strategies and objectives. Provide strong leadership to motivate Field Medical team members in the region to achieve excellent results.
· Ensure that all interactions and activities in the region adhere to corporate and healthcare compliance guidance, including those related to clinical trials, scientific interactions with internal and external groups, and responses to unsolicited requests for medical/scientific information.
· Maintain clinical, scientific, and technical expertise in specific therapeutic area
· Represent the company and Medical Affairs during exchanges with the medical/scientific community.
· Interpret and translate national strategies and tactics into regional plans. Develop and execute a regional opinion leader development strategy. Guide and assist Field Medical team members in developing and executing an opinion leader strategy in their individual territories. Opinion leader development includes appropriately engaging opinion leaders in research, as consultants and other activities.
· Guide and assist the Field Medical team in the coordination of opinion leader interactions within and across the region and with internal stake holders as necessary
· Coordinate and collaborate within Medical Affairs to appropriately deploy Field Medical team members in the region in response to unsolicited questions, including for pipeline and off label information
· Clearly communicate the team national, regional, and territory plans, objectives, and tactical plan; define, clarify and manage the regional team priorities; actively support the regional team and their efforts by being their advocate and spokesperson; promote collaboration within the team, across work groups and with customers
· Represent Field Medical functions on US Medical Affairs teams as necessary
· Develop and maintain productive and appropriate relationships with other individuals in the company from the commercial and clinical organizations. Appropriately partner with the commercial field team to provide necessary and appropriate medical resources.
- 5+ years of experience in hematological /oncology preferred
- 10+ years of experience in industry (e.g., biotech/pharmaceutical/medical device company, Contract Research Organization), academic research, or public health
- Experience functioning as a field-based employee preferred
- Excellent communication, presentation and time management skills required; must be adaptable and able to work well within a team and relate effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Able to inspire a team to excel by fostering a climate of energy, excitement and personal accountability
- Demonstrated leadership in ambiguous situations
- Current working knowledge of US legal, regulatory, and compliance regulations and guidelines
- Ability to partner with key internal stakeholders to understand key objectives and to drive plans that achieve or exceed these.
Education Requirements (degree, certifications, etc.):
- PharmD, PhD or RN with advanced degree preferred.
LOCATION PREFERENCE: Pacific Time Zone