Senior Systems Engineer
Senior Systems Engineer
Mission Bio is a start-up located near San Francisco that is innovating technologies to analyze single cells within complex biological systems, revealing critical information not observable from bulk sample analysis. With proprietary microfluidic droplet technology, Mission Bio is developing research tools that allow high-throughput, single-cell nucleic acid characterization across a variety of research applications, including oncology and immunology.
Mission Bio is looking for a senior systems engineer to advance our microfluidic-based instrument. As a member of a small but critical engineering team, this position will be responsible for characterizing system functionality as well as developing and executing verification and validation plans. They will root cause issues and then recommend improvements to development and manufacturing teams, while also supporting quality and customer-facing groups as necessary. Beyond that, they will be key to new product development by conducting feasibility studies and developing product requirements documents. The candidate must have experience with analytical lab systems and be adept at designing and executing analytical experiments, and they should furthermore feel comfortable modifying hardware and software to conduct their own studies. Lastly, they must have excellent problem-solving skills, a good work ethic, and an ability to clearly communicate in teams or with written reports.
- Manage instrument requirements and specifications, tracking deviations and gauging impact of fixes and improvements.
- Design and execute experiments for feasibility, system characterization, verification, validation, and reliability.
- Develop and maintain system-wide expertise across mechanisms, electronics, firmware, and pneumatics.
- Identify potential failure modes using FMEA and find root cause in observed issues. For both, evaluate risk and aid in resolution.
- Generate outward-facing analytical reports and regulatory documentation.
- Coordinate across teams, including R&D, manufacturing, quality, marketing, and support, as well as with vendors.
- At least five years’ experience as a systems or hardware engineer.
- Demonstrate system engineering expertise on at least two analytical instrument projects.
- Demonstrate ability to develop, execute, and report on verification and validation studies.
- Familiarity with CAD software, basic electrical engineering, and some programming.
- Fast learning, hardworking, an exemplary team member, and a strong communicator and writer.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering or scientific field with an advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in a start-up or in life sciences is a bonus.