Director, Medical Writing
The Vertex Medical Writing department is a collaborative team of about 25 people who are responsible for preparing clinical regulatory documents to support development programs throughout the product lifecycle. Medical Writers are key members of study teams and submission teams.
The Director, Medical Writing will be a strategic, hands-on medical writing expert with responsibility for leading and managing a team of writers and for preparing high-quality clinical regulatory documents. The Director will contribute both strategic and operational perspectives. The Director will make significant contributions to department initiatives and will collaborate with key functions across the organization. This role will report to the Vice President, Medical Writing and will be a key member of the Medical Writing management team. This will be a full time role located in Boston, MA.
- Advise teams on the content and presentation of clinical regulatory documents
- Participate as a member of team involved in defining the direction of the clinical development program or regulatory strategy
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to ensure understanding of program strategy and the nature of medical writing services required to deliver on program objectives
- Optimize interdisciplinary understanding and integrate activities with those of other departments and project teams
- Predict and plan resource requirements and staffing needs, ensuring appropriate staff are available to meet program goals
- Participate in developing and implementing processes and templates to ensure efficient preparation of high quality medical writing deliverables
- Provide input to strategies and tactics for the Medical Writing department
- Oversee hiring of staff; provide coaching and performance management
- PhD (or equivalent degree) and 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience authoring clinical regulatory documents
- Leadership role in complex clinical regulatory writing projects, including at least one marketing application (e.g., NDA/BLA, MAA)
- Experience managing direct and indirect reports, including medical writing contractors
- Ability to plan, manage, and optimize resources
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Attention to detail
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.