Sr BioProcess Engineer
As part of the Global Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) organization, the Applications Engineering Group is a globally-networked team of engineers and scientists that evaluates product, unit operation, and integrated process train performance across all aspects of upstream production and downstream purification of therapeutic biomolecules to enable the most effective implementation at all scales. Through rigorous experimental and theoretical analyses, we provide expert technical recommendations, best practices, and holistic solutions to enable efficient and successful bioprocessing by our customers.
Your Role: The successful candidate will drive the development of application proof statements, best practices, and integrated processing solutions in support of the full range of MilliporeSigma products targeted to the bioprocessing industry, but particularly focused on upstream mammalian cell culture products, in order to accelerate end-user implementation and to identify opportunities for new product development. This position will require significant hands-on work at lab-bench and pilot-scales and will be primarily focused on upstream mammalian cell culture processes, although projects involving downstream separation and purification operations are within scope. The candidate will be expected to analyze and document results in a timely and industry-relevant manner. In addition to being responsible for communication of project output to the MilliporeSigma commercial organization, the successful candidate will also be expected to report interesting technical findings to our customers directly, at industry conferences, and through publications. You will work in close technical collaboration with other functions within the company including Manufacturing Sciences, R&D, Product Management, Sales, and Marketing.
Who You Are: The candidate should have a practical understanding of processes used in industrial production and purification of proteins, vaccines, plasma, and bio-pharmaceuticals, including cell culture, chromatography and filtration methods, process development, scale up, single-use processing, and analytical techniques. An understanding of pharmaceutical/biotechnology regulatory and quality guidelines including GLP and GMP is a plus. This position requires a solid foundation in the principles of engineering fundamentals, a hands-on sensibility to engineering design and system operation, and a detail-oriented approach. The candidate should excel in a fast-paced work environment, demonstrate the ability to work efficiently and independently, and to accomplish project objectives with a commitment to producing high quality scientific work.
- Degree in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering (MS. or PhD preferred). BS with 6+ years relevant industrial or postgraduate experience, MS with >4 yrs, PhD with > 2 yrs
- Demonstrated experience working with mammalian cells at multiple experimental scales, ranging from micro-titer plates to small-scale bioreactors
- Solid background in cell biology techniques, including cell culture, cell based assays, FACS analysis and microscopy, media and bioreactor process development
- Experience in statistical design of experiments (DoE) coupled with strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to solve problems creatively and contribute to innovation in product development and process methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the confidence and ability to professionally present to internal and external stakeholders and customers
- Up to approximately 20% travel (domestic and/or international) required
- PhD preferred