Research Scientist - Peptide/Bioorganic Chemist
Are you a dynamic scientist with a deep understanding of peptide chemistry and organic chemistry, with the ability to merge the two fields? Do you consider yourself to be highly creative and have a record of accomplishment, as evidenced by a strong publication record? We are seeking a Peptide / Bioorganic Chemist to join our Peptide Lead Optimization group within Biotechnology Discovery Research. Our team of scientists is responsible for designing, generating, characterizing, and optimizing biotherapeutics as projects progress from lead generation to lead optimization to development.
The primary focus of your role will be to lead various peptide optimization efforts using a combination of current peptide synthesis techniques, organic chemistry, and analysis of structure-activity relationships with the goal to improve pharmaceutical properties. Are you able to lead a project to meet timelines, propose strategies and future directions to meet project and departmental goals? Are able to work in a highly collaborative environment and interact cross-functionally within Biotechnology Discovery Research, Discovery Chemistry, as well as the various therapeutic areas, Drug Disposition and Bioproduct Development teams as projects move from the bench to the clinic?
This is an exciting opportunity to play a meaningful role in the discovery and development of next-generation peptide therapeutics.
Creative, enthusiastic and highly motivated synthetic organic chemists with a desire to transition to the area of peptide therapeutics are welcome to apply. A cover letter highlighting recent accomplishments and desire for this role is requested.
- Use state-of-the-art peptide synthesis methods, including bio-conjugation techniques where applicable, to enable compound generation, analyze structure-activity relationships, and make recommendations for further synthesis and optimization.
- Provide project leadership to guide the chemistry, but also in collaboration with biologist colleagues on in vitro and in vivo experiments. Lead and drive projects to pre-defined project-related landmarks.
- Manage and lead associate scientists effectively to achieve project and group goals.
- Present data at both internal and external meetings.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Bioorganic Chemistry, or related field.
- Postdoctoral experience strongly preferred.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
- Experience with solid-phase peptide synthesis, peptide purification and analysis by mass spectrometry.
- Expert knowledge of peptide structure, and experience with various biophysical methods typically used in their characterization.
- Be a phenomenal teammate, flexible and ready to overcome a variety of scientific challenges in the spirit of driving projects to completion. Excellent communication skills are imperative.
- Experience in the formulation and stability assessment of peptide drug candidates.
- Experience in chemical synthesis of peptides within the insulin superfamily.