SENIOR ASSOCIATE SCIENTIST - MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapies to treat serious illnesses. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions. To underpin our commitment to serve patients, Amgen is hiring in the department of Medicinal Chemistry our Research and Development facility in Cambridge MA (AMA).
This Senior Associate Scientist will be part of an innovative Medicinal Chemistry group, with responsibilities including (but not limited to) the synthesis and purification of novel compounds for potential clinical drug development. The successful candidate will work in teams to develop, implement and perform organic reactions for ongoing Medicinal Chemistry teams, including troubleshooting of synthetic routes and reactions, scouting of new synthetic routes and performing high difficulty synthetic chemistry. Furthermore, he/she will contribute to the design of new compounds and the development of structure-activity relationships. This individual will perform structural determinations using NMR and mass spectral techniques and purify compounds using a variety of techniques. Additional responsibilities include maintaining laboratory notebooks, participating in group and project meetings and, as needed, presenting to groups and aiding in the writing of papers and patent applications.
- Master's degree and 3 years of Scientific experience
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years of Scientific experience
- 4 years of focus or specialization in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry (academic and/or industrial)
- Demonstrated ability to scout and troubleshoot synthetic routes, and perform high difficulty synthetic chemistry
- Clear understanding of structural determination using NMR and Mass Spectral techniques as well as knowledge of purification methods
- Demonstration of good lab practices, with particular attention to safety
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral), leadership skills and the ability to work well in teams
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.