Senior Director, Total Rewards
Why Join Us?
To be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a biopharmaceutical company committed to bringing to patients novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases, with a focus on serious, debilitating genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best, because we never lose sight of our mission – to make a difference in our patients’ lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
ultrafocused – Work together to fearlessly uncover new possibilities
This is an opportunity to join Ultragenyx during an exciting period of organizational growth and commercial/international expansion. The Senior Director, Total Rewards will play an integral role in the strategic planning, development, enhancement, administration, and communication of the company’s global total rewards policies and programs. This will include responsibility for designing and administering the company’s executive and employee compensation programs, as well as company-wide benefits plans. Partnering closely with the Head of Human Resources and the Executive Leadership Team, this individual will ensure that all programs promote the organization’s strategic objectives and culture, and that they are competitive, cost effective and sustainable.
We are seeking an experienced Total Rewards leader who can balance tactical and strategic initiatives with a hands-on, team-oriented approach. He/she will manage, mentor and direct a team of three compensation and benefits professionals.
The following responsibilities apply to all areas of Total Rewards, including executive compensation, employee compensation and company-wide benefits plans.
Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Lead the Ultragenyx’s global Total Rewards function to effectively design, implement and manage the compensation and benefits strategy, philosophy, programs, policies and initiatives to ensure that they are aligned with the company’ overall business strategy, priorities, and corporate culture. Develop, coach and mentor Total Rewards team.
- Work as a key member of the HR team that promotes Ultragenyx culture and values and has a valued presence in the organization.
- Build collaborative relationships and provide consultative advice to managers and HR business partners on total rewards strategy (e.g. promotions/transfers, job offers, relocations) and policy and guideline interpretation.
- Proactively ensure global compensation and benefits programs are competitive, sustainable and scalable based on market assessment and our business strategy to maximize the company's ability to attract and retain top talent.
- Partner with the Head of HR and external consultant to the Compensation Committee, to assess, develop and design new and existing executive compensation programs, as well as prepare and develop presentations for the quarterly Compensation Committee meetings. Attend Compensation Committee meetings, and depending on experience, potentially participate in presentations.
- Lead the annual global compensation planning process to ensure successful delivery, competitiveness and alignment with Ultragenyx’s compensation philosophy
- Develop training programs to educate leaders, managers and colleagues on the company’s compensation and benefits programs
- Lead the evaluation and alignment of individual positions, job levels and career families.
- Lead the development of the health and welfare benefits strategy and direct the design, implementation, communication and cost control of health and welfare benefit programs for employees globally.
- Ensure the company’s compensation and benefits plans comply with US and relevant ex-US legal and other regulations and manage processes and controls to ensure ongoing compliance with those regulations.
- Partner with external vendors, brokers and consultants in compensation and benefit areas to ensure the company is positioned competitively and stays current on market trends and changes in the life sciences industry.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive global communication strategy for compensation and benefit programs and identify opportunities to enhance employee engagement, facilitate proactive and effective messaging to educate employees as well as support the company’s growth and strategic plan.
- Communicate effectively across the organization and develop strategic partnerships with Executive Leadership, Legal, and Finance Teams.
- Support the HR team and the overall organization with implementation of HR programs, projects and initiatives.
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus 12+ years of experience in broad-based compensation, executive, and incentive plan strategy, design, and administration; MBA or advanced certification (CCP, CBP, CEP or SPHR) preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of compensation and benefits operations experience.
- Minimum of three years experience in building, leading and managing a successful Total Rewards/Compensation and Benefits team in a public biotech/pharmaceutical company, to include: executive compensation, pay-for-performance, corporate governance, short term incentive planning, and long-term equity pay programs.
- A minimum of three years experience in executive compensation design.
- A minimum of three years experience in developing international compensation and benefits programs.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills to effectively communicate compensation strategies at all levels, from administrative to the C-Suite.
- Ability to establish strong rapport with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in presenting to Compensation Committees of the Board preferred.
- Demonstrated good judgment, strong business acumen, effective influencing and leadership skills, as well as strong assessment and analytical skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, growing environment.
- Knowledge of leading practices and external trends in compensation, benefits and HR systems.
- Knowledge of current practices in equity plan administration including understanding and managing plan provisions, understanding implications of plan changes and related costs, and understanding of current equity best practices.
- Leadership skills balanced with a willingness to play a 'hands-on' role with key projects.
- Set & Achieve Goals: Understand business objectives and effectively translate them into strategies, while skillfully navigating obstacles and resistance to change.
- Inspire & Mobilize Others: Serve as a positive role model – create followership and effectively mobilize and influence others, both on your team and across the organization.
- Provide Ongoing Coaching & Feedback: Coach others to achieve their goals through encouragement and high-quality feedback, and support the growth and development of team members.
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.