Scientist I / Research Associate, Chemistry
Samumed is a pharmaceutical platform company based in San Diego, California, focused on advancing regenerative medicine and oncology applications through research and innovation (www.samumed.com). Samumed has discovered new targets and biological processes in the Wnt pathway, allowing the company to develop small molecule drugs that have the potential to address numerous degenerative conditions as well as many forms of cancer. Samumed is currently conducting clinical trials for multiple disease areas – including osteoarthritis, androgenetic alopecia, tendinopathy, degenerative disc disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and cancer ‐ and has a broad pipeline targeting areas of significant unmet medical need.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Samumed is seeking a responsible, dynamic, creative and highly motivated individual to join its medicinal chemistry team in the R&D division to contribute to preclinical research programs aimed at the development of novel small molecules inhibitors.
This position’s roles and responsibilities include:
- Design and Synthesis of focus libraries of novel small molecule inhibitors to support patent applications and lead optimization.
- Develop versatile synthetic route for rapid analog synthesis.
- Conceive and implement highly creative problem-solving strategies to generate development candidates through lead optimization.
- Scale up synthesis of lead compounds in multi-gram scales.
- Maintain appropriate documentation of research activities.
- Participate in general lab duties including routine care and maintenance of lab instruments.
- Presenting scientific data to colleagues and assisting in the preparation of internal and external presentations (presentations, posters, publications)
- Performing additional general duties to support the safe and efficient operation of the laboratory as required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in medicinal, synthetic or organic chemistry and 4 – 5 years of laboratory experience in an industry or academic setting or PhD degree in organic chemistry with 1 – 3 years of experience as a post-doctoral researcher.
- Good understanding of synthetic and medicinal chemistry.
- Experience in designing and synthesizing chemical libraries.
- Highly skilled in solving wide range of synthetic chemistry challenges.
- Proficient in ADMET concepts, in-vitro/in-vivo pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, molecular biology and pharmacology.
- Understanding of basic patents laws will be a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, enthusiasm, self-motivation, strong interpersonal skill, and ability to interact effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Candidates should be highly organized and have competent computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), Chemdraw and SciFinder.
TO APPLY, PLEASE EMAIL RESUME TO APPLY@SAMUMED.COM
NO phone calls please.